Day three 464 base wax and wick test

SRez

Guest Natasha2106

Oh wow, thank you so much for sharing this information.

When it comes to testing  with a fragrance how do you  do a wick test? It would be a lot of wax and fragrance to use to test on such a large volume as you did with this unfragranced test.

Thanks Natasha 

10 hours ago, Guest Natasha2106 said:

Oh wow, thank you so much for sharing this information.

When it comes to testing  with a fragrance how do you  do a wick test? It would be a lot of wax and fragrance to use to test on such a large volume as you did with this unfragranced test.

Thanks Natasha 

Hi there, 

You are very welcome.  What I do is what was suggested by @TallTayl.  Pick the best looking / performing wick / wicks and start with that.  I then make about 6 or so testers with my FO of choice and try that wick and then maybe go up or down 1 or 2 sizes to see how it performs.  In some cases I had to choose a different wick series in order for the scent to throw.  I've learned quite a bit and still learning everyday. 

This amount of testing is amazing! Fabulous job! You’re hired, lol. 

normally I would not do quite so many in the first round,  just because of the sheer number of testers. You have a lot of great data points now, though, so future tests will be simple as you have eliminated so many wick series. 

another benefit to these tests... you already know which wicks can sub in if you hit a troublesome FO.  Some FO need a series change just to burn.  You already know which will burn hotter from your work here. 

alternatively, if an FO is a super easy burner and needs a wick down, or wick series change you already know where to go. This investment of time to learn your material is incredibly valuable. 

Your tests  support my own observations about ECO.  I am beginning to like premier in some combos.  CD and CDN are very similar in soy, with CDN being a half step smaller than cd on this wax. 

RRD burn kind of dirty. I don’t love how they burn down then out personally. 

ECO are not balanced between flame heat and consumption of this type of wax. 

CSN are out of their element in this wax. 

for a 3” wide (inside measurement) cd12 or cd14 is a great starting point. Cdn12 or cdn14, depending on FO is a great second. Cd are more widely available, but CDN are common enough and gaining popularity slowly. 

Premier 700 series seem to do better in other natural waxes than soy. I like them in coconut blends more than in primarily soy blends. 

htp burn weirdly. There’s a bigger jump between 104 and 105 than there should be. 

I would be happy enough with those to melt down and Recycle all the wax aside from the cd 12, cd14, CDN 12 and cdn14.  Burn those to the bottom an make sure nothing unusual happens in th last half.

you get the gold star for the day.  Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I would be happy enough with those to melt down and Recycle all the wax aside from the cd 12, cd14, CDN 12 and cdn14.  Burn those to the bottom an make sure nothing unusual happens in th last half.

Yup... already melted down except for the CD10/12/14, CDN10/12/14 and the ECO12 and HTP 104/105 for the fun of it.  The CD12 and CDN14 still look the best.  I did 2 more burns at 5 hours a pop.  So... 19 total hours. 

I did the same test more or less last year and again ended up with the CD10/12 as the winners so to speak.  

And I want to give a big thank you to everyone out here who lends their expertise to this craft.  This has become somewhat of an addicting quest.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRez said:

Yup... already melted down except for the CD10/12/14, CDN10/12/14 and the ECO12 and HTP 104/105 for the fun of it.  The CD12 and CDN14 still look the best.  I did 2 more burns at 5 hours a pop.  So... 19 total hours. 

I did the same test more or less last year and again ended up with the CD10/12 as the winners so to speak.  

And I want to give a big thank you to everyone out here who lends their expertise to this craft.  This has become somewhat of an addicting quest.    

If I am reading this correctly, the wax you have now is harder to burn , requiring a little bit more wick, than the lot you tested last year?

16 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

If I am reading this correctly, the wax you have now is harder to burn , requiring a little bit more wick, than the lot you tested last year?

Not exactly.  I purchased a few cases last year.   

I didn't re-melt the wax and perform another test with it if that's what you're asking. 

I used brand new flakes with each test.

2 separate tests about 6 months apart, using the same lot #.

Last year when I did it, I didn't really record everything like I did this time around. 

Last year I was more concerned with MP results more than anything else.