Wooden wick dimming out...why?

@LilyJane

Answers to your questions are both "Yes!".  The one in above picture is purchased from South Korea.  Many candle suppliers in South Korea does not have capacity to handle out of country orders, and a few who do charge ridiculous amount.  It is $1.60 per wick.  Not only that, the wicks are not the best in the world and has some flaws also.  It also has patent infringe problem with Lumetique.  That is why I am trying to make one myself or working with the manufacturer to modify it, so it can be brought to US.

It is sturdy enough to stand by itself in the container, but it still need to be secured with wick tab.  Otherwise, it will fall down or move around when wax is less than 1 inch left.  

• 4 months later...
On 1/27/2021 at 1:24 AM, ErronB said:

Welcome to wooden wicks. There is nothing I can tell you that will fix it because they are all totally unpredictable, but the 0.02 will always be the worst of the bunch. Try either the .02 booster or .03 in slimmer widths.

Can you advise why you say .02 is the worst? I’m new to these and trying to figure it out. .02 seem to work well on my glass jars, but not my tins. 🤔 

On 11/17/2022 at 11:14 AM, AmandaP said:

Can you advise why you say .02 is the worst? I’m new to these and trying to figure it out. .02 seem to work well on my glass jars, but not my tins. 🤔 

They’re too thin to reliably stay lit on the first burn, unless the wax you’re using burns with a high flame from the get-go, but most clean burning waxes aren’t like that. Plus the consistency is terrible, they won’t ever burn exactly the same as each other like regular candle wicks. I fought with wooden wicks for years, if you strive for good quality burning candles they are a bad choice, if you don’t really care about that and just want big scent throw quickly then they do have that going for them, that’s about it, other than looking pretty cool as well.