Help please! Wick testing for Soy Candle

Hi, so I’m new to candle making. My glass container is 3 inches diameter. I have made two testers both with 8% fragrance oil using C3 Nature Wax. I have used an Eco 10 wick in the first candle and an Eco 12 in the second. Both have produced high, flickering flames and mushrooming. Both have good target melt pools halfway down. But noticed the jar gets incredibly hot and also the Eco 10 candle has started getting black around the top of the jar. Do I need to go up or down with my wicks please? That’s my main question. Or try a different wick altogether. 

First two photos on white board are with Eco 10 wick and photos on brown wood are Eco 12. Been burning them both since these photos and they have achieved full melt pools with clear glass but very hot to touch. 

7E462D62-8E37-4016-A9AA-A482F7B85CDA.jpeg

D90BCC5E-AFA5-4C43-838D-088748598B53.jpeg

0247DB4D-9FBC-4BBC-B7BD-E6477CBE7AEC.jpeg

175B475F-86E5-448C-8BAE-4BD7B5C7CDF8.jpeg

Edited by Novice
Extra information

Hello and welcome!

sooting usually points to too much wick, or wrong wick series. 

i have always used cd, CDN or CSN in C3. Eco are always troublesome to me. For that size jar, cd 12 is where I would start. 

a melt pool, in my most humble opinion, is a limit, not a target.  It does not look bad so far, but watch how much deeper it gets now that you are approaching the critical mid point. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks so much for your advice that’s really helpful. 🙂  I did wonder if I should maybe try a different type of wick series, as I can’t see going down a wick size will be sufficient to burn the wax. Also I thought if I went up a size it will be even worse. Just got to halfway and it’s like this for the Eco 12. Candle jar was really hot to even pick up which worries me. 

FF512624-4713-4F9C-97B0-81DC1D3C8546.thumb.jpeg.e708f004cad19b61b954e6ac5ebe8903.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 1/22/2021 at 7:12 PM, Novice said:

Thanks so much for your advice that’s really helpful. 🙂  I did wonder if I should maybe try a different type of wick series, as I can’t see going down a wick size will be sufficient to burn the wax. Also I thought if I went up a size it will be even worse. Just got to halfway and it’s like this for the Eco 12. Candle jar was really hot to even pick up which worries me. 

FF512624-4713-4F9C-97B0-81DC1D3C8546.thumb.jpeg.e708f004cad19b61b954e6ac5ebe8903.jpeg

Have you taken the temp of the jar.  When you say it's hot, that may be to the touch but is it 125 deg or 140?

Have you tried cd wicks? Eco there are not ma y to fine tune wicking. Cd 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 etc. not all suppliers carry all of them but they are online. Then you can also do CDNs which burn a little less hot than CD. CDs are good in C3 as they need a hotter wick than 464.