LIP BALM HELP please!

barbaranj

I bought this kit from WSP, followed the directions, and the lip balm looked great.  The first time I used it on my lips it was nice and creamy.  After that, each time I took the cap off the balm was quite dry.  It took a good deal of warming up on my lips for it to become creamy again. 
I posted the recipe ingredients below...is there something I can add or remove from the list to help the balm stay creamy?   Thanks! 

Recipe

I’ll need to translate the weights into % but at first glance candelilla and beeswax are quite hard. When I use candelilla I use less beeswax.

mango butter has quite a lot of stearic, which is also quite hard. 

it takes a good 3-5 days for a balm with waxes to reach about 99% of the final hardness.

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

I’ll need to translate the weights into % but at first glance candelilla and beeswax are quite hard. When I use candelilla I use less beeswax.

mango butter has quite a lot of stearic, which is also quite hard. 

it takes a good 3-5 days for a balm with waxes to reach about 99% of the final hardness.

Well damn!  It sounds like the combinations of these  ingredients kind of work against each other.  
I need to do some serious research, for sure.  

An easy tweak is to add a bit more liquid oils to what you have. Personally, I like longer shelf life oils than almond. 

high oleic sunflower is nice in lip balm. Avocado is nice too. You can find both at your local grocery store.  I use jojoba as it has a suuuuper long life and great feel with beeswax and candelila. 

coconut oil can be nice too if you have it on hand. 

castor in the original is shiny and can be sticky. Id probably not add any more. 

Oh that is so helpful!  I have all the oils you mentioned except the sunflower. ....I will try jojoba for sure.   Makes sense to add a bit more oil.

Thank you, Tall Tayl, as always for your good, knowledgeable advice.  

Edited by barbaranj

28 minutes ago, barbaranj said:

Oh that is so helpful!  I have all the oils you mentioned except the sunflower. ....I will try jojoba for sure.   Makes sense to add a bit more oil.

Thank you, Tall Tayl, as always for your good, knowledgeable advice.  

Some of the most challenging products seem like the simplest.  Lip balm is one of the most challenging I worked on, but oh so worth it. @ComfortandJoy can attest to this 😂. She and I have pushed through a few projects like this together and lived to tell the tales. Scrubs, body butters. You name it!

palm oil is nice in lip balm too.  It is reasonably solid at room temp but nice and creamy to apply in different temps.

in the choice between jojoba and sunflower, jojoba all day long. A wholesale account used sunflower, and it was nice, just not “great”.