Instant tunnelling

The strangest thing happened - I’ve been using freedom wax with medium premier cotton wicks for my large 16oz jars with NO problems getting a melt pool across the top within 3 hours. I was just testing 2 new scents to try (one of them I have made candles with before) and the instantly burned down so low right at the wick that the melt pool after hours couldn’t reach the edges since they were too steep from the start. Also- one that I had previously poured (and unfortunately sold a sold) did the same thing once I lit it as well! 

Obviously 3 of these candles doing this in the same day has really shaken me and I’ve lost quite a bit of confidence in my candles which is a shame because I’ve just started selling them. I have 5 scents in my line and this has only happened with this 1, but didn’t happen with the test batch I had. I can’t understand this for the life of me...?! How did this happen at random and with 3 scents? The other ones are 2 days shy of curing for 2 weeks so I really can’t understand this. 

So weird that it happened to all 3 I lit yesterday but others my friends have same size were okay. How would I avoid this in the future? Do you think it would be worth it to heat gun the tops just to make sure there are no cavities at the top? 

11 minutes ago, lisamrtr said:

So weird that it happened to all 3 I lit yesterday but others my friends have same size were okay. How would I avoid this in the future? Do you think it would be worth it to heat gun the tops just to make sure there are no cavities at the top? 

Until I figured out the pour temps to prevent/minimize cavities I would poke around the wick in a few places to open them up and then either second pour or heat gun to fill. Poke deeply since if there’s one at the top chances are there are more further down usually near the wick.

18 minutes ago, NightLight said:

Agree with Tall Tayl, could be cavities. How long have you been pouring candles? This is a common thing that can happen with soy waxes until you find the perfect pour temp.

What are your pour temps with that wax?

I’ve been pouring for about a year. I spoke with the ladies where I get my supplies from and they also said likely a cavity. Apparently freedom wax is known for this but I’ve never had it happen! I have seen craters open up near the wick if I heat gun the tops so this does make sense. Another solution was to keep moving the wicks as the wax is settling to get any air bubbles around it broken up. 
Freedoms instructions are to add the fragrance at 160 and pour so my pour temps are always around 150. Will be heat gunning everything until I figure this out!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, TallTayl said:

The only thing about heat gunning is the priming wax from the wick often melts and mixes with the surface wax and can create weird swirly patterns or even sometimes cracks. Soy wax is the bane of my chandling existence

Hahaha mine too but I’m committed! I know the swirls you mean but would rather those than this crazy tunnel. It’s a constant work in progress. 

Im finding that soy candles are all about picking your battles honestly. 

• Thumbs Up 1