Couldn't get HT after multiple testings

Hello candle makers,

I am a newbie and am trying to make Soy wax candles using EO( I know ,many of you won't support) since last 3 months. I got excellent CT but little to none HT.

I cannot use FO because it is not easily available and also due to the family member allergies.

Can someone let me know is it possible to get HT from soy wax using EO (I have used Lavender(No HT), Cedarwood(very mild HT), Jasmine(mild HT)) . I do get some HT when I scrap of some wax from already made candles and burn it in wax warmer. So does this mean , I should go for wax melts rather than a candle.

Thanks.

Some Cedar wood varietals are pretty difficult to burn, let alone get decent Ht.

It is not impossible, just very challenging with soy.many EO need more delicate flames than what soy requires to burn, let alone throw. Lemongrass is pretty easy if you can wick hot enough.

what soy wax and wicks have you tried? Any burn concerns, like large or small flames, soot, etc? 

First of all, soy wax is not easy wax to achieve decent HT even if it is made with easy to use FOs.  I can tell you that as a soy wax candle maker, and I am suspecting main reason for you lack of HT is due to this fact.

It's not that many won't support using EOs in candles.  It is just that it is almost impossible to overcome few big obstacles using it in candles.

Biggest obstacle would be the price factor.  1 oz (not lb) of real Jasmine EO would cost $800 & up.  If you have paid a lot less than that, then the chances are you don't have real EO on your hand unless you are located in a region where they actually manufacturer them.  There are many EOs out there with fancy subtitles that are selling at less prices.  Those are all pre-diluted in carrier oils.  If anything is added to EO, then it is technically no longer EO.  It should be considered as FO made with EO, and there are many of these out there.  But since there is no regulation, people call it whatever they want to call it.  The situation is very similar to olive oil industry.  Most olive oils are mixed with cheaper oils, but they still sell it as olive oil.  So, are you asking about using real EOs in a candle or is it EOs mixed with other ingredients?  Answer to your question depends on this answer.

Even if someone has real EO without any carrier oils, that person needs to have the knowledge in working with undiluted fragrance in order to make real EO work in a candle.  This would require perfumery or scented oil industry knowledge which many of candle makers do not have.  You are up for tougher challenge than regular candle makers if you want to make EOs work in candles.  There are about 8 EOs that are known to be working in candles.  If you use anyone of those 8, then you would not need to learn about perfumery.  Cedarwood & Jasmine are not in that list of 8.

Someone could make real EOs work in candles.  But the answer should be in perfumery industry not in ours.  Did you know that there are more astronauts in this world than real perfumers?  Perfumers require natural born talent in ability to differentiate the smells.  No one can get into perfumery schools without passing that smelling test.  This is one of big obstacle getting into perfumery industry or obtaining information from that industry.

If you are using EOs diluted in carrier oils, then you need to make sure those carrier oils are comparable to work in soy wax candles.  I believe most of those available are to be used in diffusers, so it would be safe to assume that they would work in wax melts but not in candles.

@TallTayl:
 I have used soy wax from a local supplier and small size cotton wicks in multiple size glass vessels. The best results I get from 3"X3" glass vessel.

Medium flame ,no soot (I do trim the wick on the next burn). Everything seems fine except the HT.

I tried wooden wicks ( 1.3cm X 13 cm ) as well but they never worked for me. The flame was very low and would extinguish on slightest wind.

I will now try with Lemongrass. Can you please let me know which other EO's I can expect to work.

Thankyou.

@BusyBee:
I checked my Jasmine EO and it says 20% undiluted and it was no doubt expensive than others. But I do like it using in my diffuser so wanted to give it a try.  Also I am getting my EOs from India where these are manufactured.

Yes, I want to use EOs in my candles. I am okay with them if I can mix carrier oil in it. I would like to know which carrier oils can be mixed and does it improves the HT. 

You mention about 8 EOs working in candles. Could you please let me know which ones. Do you have any source/link to read? I have given a lot of time in these testing's and wouldn't mind to do more but I do want to give my best try.

Thankyou.

There honestly are soy many soy waxes and do many different cotton wicks that troubleshooting is rather difficult. I understand if you are unable to get the specifics, we will just take a bit longer to pinpoint the issues.

measurements are important, along with sizes of wicks.  Typically fragrances are added to candle wax as percentages, such as 6% fragrance, which would equal 1 ounce of fragrance per lb of wax. 

other EO I use in candles would include fir needle, lavender, long leaf pine. Tropically I don’t go above 6% in my waxes, and need to use a wax blend that does not require large wicks. 

Sorry that I cannot recall which article I have read that.  It was so long time ago.  If my memory is correct, then some of those were lavender, peppermint, orange peel, and possibly lemon grass.

Perfumer's Apprentice would be a good place to look at for start of your EO venture.  They should be able to help you with information & carrier oils that you will need.

https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/c-63-carrier-and-diluting-oils.aspx

Spectrum Chemicals & MFG Corp is another source, but you will need to have some knowledge on what you are talking about with these guys.

https://www.spectrumchemical.com/OA_HTML/index.jsp?section=10565&language=US&minisite=10020&respid=22372

This website should help you on your research.

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/index.html

Thanks @TallTayl . I have tested adding my EOs from 4-8 % . I didn't get any HT from Lavender even after adding at 8% but got some from Jasmine at 4%. So I assume it depends upon the quality of EO or wax/wick combination. I will try more EOs as mentioned as well some other manufacturers. 

Thanks @ BusyBee for the all the links.