Help choosing a wick and tunneling and caving

We are working with organic beeswax pellets.

We have 3oz containers and 4oz containers. No matter what we try we get tunneling with both containers.

The wicks came with the wax. They look like ordinary wicks so not sure of the size.  Would switching to a square wick prevent tunneling?

Also when we pour we get holes when the wax cools.

We tried heating the containers but then the wick sticker comes loose or won't stick.

We even tried pouring at a lower temp but still get cave ins etc.

Any and all help or tips will be extremely appreciated.

Beeswax shines in tapers or pillars.  In containers it is challenging to wick hot enough to melt and burn the wax without exceeding the container safety temp range. 

square braid wicks are preferred for beeswax. They do not have a core, meaning if you wick too hot they will sag in the melt pool making it appear they are too small.

every batch of beeswax can vary quite a bit.  Some lots I have received would not burn even with a wick as thick as a clothesline while others burned relatively easily. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Clynnbud1 said:

Would it be better to focus on making wax melts? Or should I try square wicks

Making wax melts are certainly easier than making candles since you don't have to deal with wick testing. But per @TallTayl and from other posts I have seen regarding bees wax the square braid wicks are recommended. I don't really have experience with bees wax.

16 hours ago, Clynnbud1 said:

Would it be better to focus on making wax melts? Or should I try square wicks

This is totally up to you. Melts are not the easiest thing with beeswax since the melt point is higher than most wax warmers. Typical wax warmers are made for easy to melt soy or paraffin with melt points well below that of beeswax. You can try blending, just give yorself plenty of time to learn and test since beeswax ages differently than most other waxes.

You can blend beeswax with paraffin and come up with a really nice tea light and possibly container. I really liked IGI 4786 with beeswax. 4786 in particular is kind of stretchy and almost rubbery. THis helps prevent the famous cracking across the middle of beeswax in containers.

Beeswax is a tough, but rewarding medium to master. It has been a specialty of mine for the last decade, and I still have not learned it all =o)

If you would like to make candles, the very easiest thing with beeswax is a standard taper candle. FInd a mold you like, usually silicone or urethane. Spray the inside with candle release aerosol. Heat your wax to just above melt point (145-150)

Thread a square braid #1/0 (or #2/0 depending on your wax and mold size) into the mold

pour the wax into the mold

cool completely

fill the little dip and hole from the wax shrinking

remove from the mold

let cure for several days

light and enjoy.

beeswax will continue to harden and shrink for months. Burning right away will give some enjoyment, but not exactly how it will perform in the future. Some waxes differ by a wick size or two.

• 2 months later...
54 minutes ago, Keenan said:

Thanks for that good news!!!!!! I get so much conflicting information from candle makers. I emailed Atkins and Pearce but haven't heard back yet. Thank you and Happy New Year!!

Happy new year to you too! 

square braid wicks are basically 4 sided. Two sides have braid pattern that point up, the other two braid patterns  point down. 

the conflicting info is why I do my own myth busting all.the.time. 

have fun. 

Talltayl that was exactly my point with some people!! Also, if I do as I'm told and wick a mold from the bottom(which is actually the top of the candle) with one of the Vs facing up, then when you unmold, and turn it right side up, the V is now a downward dog. I do so much appreciate your help and thank you for myth busting. I was actually hoping you would respond because your reputation precedes you🥳🥳

• Like 1

Beeswax is really difficult to work with. And no guarantee with new wicks. If you wan to work with it I would be more inclined to blend with paraffin or coconut wax for containers.

You will have better luck using it in molded candles, or tapers as Tall Tayl has indicated.

If you are to candlemaking I would suggest mastering a soy candle before attempting beeswax.

There are many super experienced candlemakers here who won’t work with beeswax.