Wax Consistency Like Cream of Wheat

Have you ever poured wax that has the consistency of Cream of Wheat?  I'm using C-1soy and had gone thru all steps up to pouring but had to reheat a bit. So I stuck the pot in a low oven just to get the wax that was starting to solidify on the bottom of the pour pot to melt.  No big deal; I can get it back to a cloudy liquid.  But wondered if this thickness would eliminate air pockets and turn out being a good candle.  I tried attaching a photo but get error message. 

GoldieMN

You’ll have to watch for any seepage, but usually it was just dry/grainy looking or frosty. 

when pouring c1, once you see a little tiny island of grainy film on top it is go time. Stirring frequently with a wide spatula kept it clear for me to pour all the way down to 105*F

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoldieMN said:

@sarahmarah I have 50 lbs. of C-3 that I need to do something with one of these days.  I may be calling on you for help. ;)

GoldieMN

I’m almost done with a 50lb of c3 I got last year and I’m weighing out if troubleshooting the champagne bubbles is worth getting another one or jumping ship to something else 🤦🏻‍♀️😂

How do you like c1? 

22 minutes ago, sarahmarah said:

I’m almost done with a 50lb of c3 I got last year and I’m weighing out if troubleshooting the champagne bubbles is worth getting another one or jumping ship to something else 🤦🏻‍♀️😂

How do you like c1? 

I do like the C-1.  Is it hard getting a good hot throw with C-3?  I ordered both to begin with last year but didn't give C-3 much of a try.  Are the champagne bubbles the only drawback?  Do they go all the way through the wax or just on top.

GoldieMN

24 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

I do like the C-1.  Is it hard getting a good hot throw with C-3?  I ordered both to begin with last year but didn't give C-3 much of a try.  Are the champagne bubbles the only drawback?  Do they go all the way through the wax or just on top.

GoldieMN

I’ve only had experience with the one 50lb case but I really do love the hot throw I’ve gotten when all goes as planned. 
I do feel like it needs to be coddled too much. Because I mess around on a small scale I’m ok with hole poking, heat gunning, second pours, and more recently jar heating...

But those damn bubbles!

I’ve tried tempering, stirring gently both frequently/unfrequently, pouring in stages, tapping the container, wiggling the wick, relief hole pokes, pouring at low temps, pouring at hot temps, pouring in the mid range...it just wants to bubble like it’s carbonated. I got so frustrated I even took a few month hiatus from candles and have been trying my hand at soap.

So it’s still a work in progress. I’m stubborn so I’ll likely keep at it. I’m starting to think it might have been poor glass adhesion creating some of the air. So now I’m preheating jars and wondering If the grass is greener 😂🤞

@sarahmarah Hmmm. . .I might try making a few clamshells with the C-3 to see if the bubbles still appear.  Is it just the appearance of the bubbles that bothers you or is the performance of the candle affected by the bubbles?

LOL  Hey, I already go through all that with any/evert soy I've used.  Poking holes. . .I'm so afraid of selling something that might not be safe.

GoldieMN 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

@sarahmarah Hmmm. . .I might try making a few clamshells with the C-3 to see if the bubbles still appear.  Is it just the appearance of the bubbles that bothers you or is the performance of the candle affected by the bubbles?

LOL  Hey, I already go through all that with any/evert soy I've used.  Poking holes. . .I'm so afraid of selling something that might not be safe.

GoldieMN 

It’s just the visual for me.

Performance is good. Early on in testing (before I knew about those fun hidden sinkholes by the wick) I would run into trouble but that was really my error and was quite a learning curve as I had never encountered hidden pockets before. 

• Like 1