GW444 question

Here I am wondering what I've really got.  Can anyone tell me if GW444 (Akosoy 5715-02-02) had a major change between the lot number of 8/28/17 until now?  The reason I ask is because I ordered some from a seller that came in a bit different from what I had known before ... not in performance, as it seems fine, but in smell and flake size.  I'm assuming there have been some changes.  I ordered some from a different company that has the lot number I just mentioned, and it's the same as I remember, larger flakes, mealy kind of odor.  If I was using it without blending it, I wouldn't be concerned at all, but I'm blending it and now I'm wondering if my tests are going to be off with the differences noted.  In other words, I'm trying to figure out if the wax itself has gone through these changes, or if the first seller (which turned out to be a bit on the "marginal" side, another story ...), may have shipped something other than what was labeled, as it did not offer a lot number on the label.

So now I'm wondering if I should leave this seller negative feedback.  I looked a little closer at this wax this morning and I truly do not believe it's GW444.  I took a pic of the two waxes side by side, they are not the same wax, and again, when I open the containers I have them in, they don't even smell the same.  I don't think that the wax itself directly from the manufacturer could have changed this much, which is why I posted this question, but since there are no replies, I'm thinking that it's very possible such discrepancies have not been noted by others who have been using this wax.

I was using this wax primarily five years ago, then a couple of years ago, I switched over to GW464 and 415 for a time in order to try them all out.  Last year I ordered C-3.  Right now, I'm trying to experiment with various percentages to see how I might like 444 with C3.  So much for my experiment if I don't know what I'm using.  🤪

Really, I'm trying my best to not be annoyed, the wax itself is not bad, I'd just like to know what it is, but I get the feeling I probably won't get a straight answer from the seller, I suppose I could try, although age & experience tells me I'm not going to get anywhere, as I checked their feedback and it seems when there is an issue, they don't always respond.

Here is what I bought, even their photo of the flakes does not match what I received:  "GW444"

Just as a note to explain why I'm ordering wax on ebay in the first place ... it's one source where I can get the wax sent USPS, as my UPS man gets lost.  🙂

Edited by birdcharm

It is anyone's guess what 444 looks like from lot to lot these days. Typically GB waxes were pretty light/pale ivory. I have not bought any lately to see if that is still the case. I do know that the cases i bought 2 weeks apart from one another were like using two entirely different waxes. That is when I stopped using GB altogether. What is the point of testing to have to re-test nd redevelop with every lot #? The first lot was amazingly good so I bought more... The second lot I got was not burnable even with a thick clothesline size square braid and never improved. The stack of cases mocks me every time I enter the store room.

A quick note about blending 444 with C3... Not 100% sure what the additives in each are, but both are pretty loaded on their own. Both will form massive abundant cavities independently. Let us know if the blend is a hot mess, or if it is magical.

Maybe this wax has changed quite a bit recently, that could be a possibility.  I plan to work with the one I am accustomed to for now, only time will tell if future orders turn out to be the smaller flakes, different smell, slightly different feeling wax.  In any event, if this is the case (that the wax has drastically changed in appearance), others reading this can be forewarned.  If it doesn't turn out to be that way, then something is also learned.  For the blend experiment I'm now going to get on, I'm going to use the wax I bought from Candlewic which is the one I'm used to.

Anyway, just to share a pic of the difference between these ... the one on the left is what I've come to know as GW444, with the other one on the right ...

2soywaxes.jpg.9f6a6e7be1c44f40c476bc355c94e9e1.jpg

On 10/5/2020 at 12:33 PM, TallTayl said:

Let us know if the blend is a hot mess, or if it is magical.

I did my first pour with a blend (444 than C3 - 2:1), but I may have poured it too cool (?), at about 110dF ~ got a nice smooth top, no adhesion issues at all ... BUT, what do you think of no adhesion whatsoever?  It was a complete and total pull-away, I'm not sure what to think about it.  Actually, in some ways I like it.  I'll do another one tonight and wrap the glass, place in a box, I didn't do anything to the one last night, just left it on the counter to see what happens.  So, now I know, I'm still pondering if I prefer it this way or not.  Maybe I poured too cool?

depending on the additives, both may have worked synergistically to shrink totally away. Many waxes that claim no wet spots just shrink equally. 

I would check for cavities in that experiment. Both of those waxes independently are notorious for them. 444 was ridiculous the last few months I used it.  Even blended where 444 wax only 20% I had to refill cavities sometimes 5 times.  they just kept appearing. 

I just poked some holes around the wick with a metal pick (about the thickness of a tapestry needle or thinner) and although some of the poking met up with resistance, it seems as though a few of them surely did not.  So, I'll do a repour tonight ... thanks! ... you must be the Agatha Christie of candle making! 

Sorry about my typo up there (to anyone reading my garble), I started to say "more 444 than C3" and changed it to actually tell what the blend is, but didn't take out the word "than" so it didn't read well.  Also, forgot to mention that I used 9% fragrance oil ... my thought was 10% for the (2 parts) 444, 6% for the C3, so 26 divided by 3 ~ it held it well, no oily areas, and it's got CT.  As for what I used, lol ... I'll just say it's something I'm calling "Sandalwood - Coffee" and I've got notes on it somewhere!  I like it though.  ☺️

• Thanks 1

As a follow-up ... I poured another one (not "just like the other one" ... older readers will get that, sorry), at about 120dF, got nice adhesion all around.  The next morning, I poked around the center area, it seemed as though there was minimal air-pocketing, did my repour with "just melted" (no temp. taken) mixture I had saved in melting pot, and ended up with shine on the surface, not looking too bad.  So, I'm think I'm going to continue to play with this blend, but, of course, these candles have to cure and I will need to test them to see what really happens, one has a CD12 in it & the other a CD14 since I didn't really know where to begin with this in a 2.75" glass and the blended waxes.

• Like 1