Using Mica powder with wax

Good afternoon 😊

Just a quick question really, I'm using golden wax 494 for my wax melts but I'm finding the mica powder when you melt them, is sinking to the bottom and not giving the shimmer that it should. Is there a certain temp you add the mica as I'm adding it at 75 degrees and it don't seem to bind with the wax can somone help? 😔. I find 494 gives a really good scent throw but is really soft, is there any way of making it a little harder? 

Be great if I can get help. Thankyou 😊

Mica powder are generally used in cosmetics, bath and body products. They aren't meant for candles. Use colorants for candlemaking only. You can buy them in liquid, blocks, chips from just about any candle supply store.

If you insist on using micas they can be lightly sprinkled on the candle tops for a shimmery or glittery effect but don't put them in wax. But remember that they will not look the same after burning the candle. You never want to put anything in wax that is not meant for it. It can clog the wick or even be a potential fire hazard. If you plan to sell you should use caution on any additives usage.

I use candle dyes and mica in melts never in candles  and yes it does settle to the bottom but i love the cool effect you get when it melts, all swirly lol.. I add it in before the fo. Maybe some stearic acid in the 494 or some paraffin , but 494 should already be  somewhat firm because it is for melts.  

• Like 1

Ok, I may be alone here but I do not add anything to my wax that does not contribute to it's burn or HT.  Adding colorful micas does make the candle look pretty..........but what does it add to the end result which is the hot throw........absolutely nothing....so why waste your time and money in adding it to the wax?  That said, I have experimented with coating my pillar candles with some mica sparkles to make them a little more pretty but in the long run...it was a total waste of time and money.

I'm just of a mind set that if an additive doesn't add anything to the hot throw, whether candles or melts, then why go there?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...