Options for attaching wicks to jars

I have made candles for a few years and have always used a hot glue gun to put wicks on the jar... never had a problem. Now, I have switched to a taller jar, and the darn things are coming loose and drifting when I get to the bottom. Could it be the glue or is it the taller jar generating more heat? I heard someone mention silicone [i think] as another option. Could I get some more info on that and will they stay put?

Try the wick-stickums (available at several suppliers). As long as your jar bottom is clean (free of dust and oil or wax residue) they stick like mad and don't come off.

To get down in deeper jars, put a stickum on the end of your tab, slip a straw over your wick (cut the straw just short enough that you can grab the end of the wick) and stick down to the center of the jar. Be sure and then push firmly on the wick tab with something like the end of a wick bar, or a wooden spoon, etc. Press firmly in 2-3 places and those babies won't move :) HTH.

Before you buy the stickums(unless you really want to) try cleaning the bottoms of your containers with a little rubbing alcohol. I do this to all my containers. As for the wick, I use a long piece of brake line tubing that I got at my local auto parts store. They have a flare at one end that I use to put over the tabs. Most lines come in 12 in lengths, so it makes wicking a snap. HTH

I use silicone. Easy, cheap and I get it at wallyworld. A little dab on the tab, stick it in, let it set up for an hour or so and you are good to go. Those darn things will not move. Even if I clean out a jar in the oven UPSIDE DOWN. I still have to use pliers to get the tab out.

Good Luck

Dat

I use the double sticky-backed foam tape thats used for mounting things. Comes in a roll, slice it in half, and cut off little squares. Works great! It works just like the stick-us. And I use an empty pen barrell, like an old Bic pen.