My First Candles

So I finally jumped into the pool and made my first candles on Wednesday (5/13). It was really fun but I have a few questions. Here's what I did...

1.  32oz Calwax CCN1 coconut blend, 3oz white beeswax (this combo was recommended by either Calwax or swans candle; I can't remember which)

2. Heated to about 170 degrees F

3. Cooled to about 150 degrees F

4.  Stirred in 2oz lavender essential oil (not sure of the brand; it's something I already had around the house)

5. Poured into Cali jar with 3.25in diameter

I used 5 different wicks. Eco2, eco4, eco6, cd7 and cd9.

Cold throw seems good. I am going to wait until next weekend to burn any. I will attach pictures because I'm sure I won't explain it correctly but the wax is pulling away from the jar at certain points around the top. Is this because they cooled too quickly? Or could it be for some other reason? Also, on 3 of the candles there is wax going up the wick? What could have caused this? Should I take it off or leave it and trim the wick above it?

I am really excited to burn these, see what happens and then try again! Thanks for taking the time to help!!

IMG_20200515_092048185.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pam.  None of the candles are burning particularly well.  So far the CD 9 seems to look the best.  I will attach a picture...it is from about 30 minutes into the 2nd burn (1st burn was just over 3 hours).  All of the other ones had tiny melt pools and the hot throw was really weak.  Next trial I think I am going to increase my wick size and maybe try a different type of wick.  Any suggestions?

IMG_20200531_082854146_MP.jpg