AFI

Daisymay66

Wondering if anyone could give me their thoughts on this? I am having troubles with tunneling that I’ve never had before with my candles. The scent is Cinnamon Sugared Doughnuts type. I use a CD 12 wick in a 16 oz mason jar, soy wax (GB 415) I’ve tried doing 1.2 oz, 1 oz, .75oz of oil it’s all still tunneling and the flame at 1.2 oz was super weak like it was clogging the wick so I went down to 1 oz. At 1 oz- the flame was not as weak and still had great scent throw but still tunneling. At .75, strong scent throw, still not as weak of a flame but it still is tunneling. 

I’ve tried wicking up to a CD 14 and it’s doing the same thing (but slightly better). I’m burning 1-2 days after making because I need to get it figured out (large account and not a ton of time). Could this be affecting why it’s tunneling. I’ve never used AFI oil before. I’ve been making candles for since 2005 so it’s not that I’m just starting. When I first started I did test with HTP wicks and ECO but found that CD’S worked best for me.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be super appreciated. 

Several things could be the issue here.  A few thoughts:

You may not be doing yourself any favors burning so quickly after pouring.  As the wax cures, the burn can change. Sometimes a hard to wick oil can settle in after a bit and burn just fine.  I use a molasses FO that's like that.  Barely burns at first, but it burns fine after a decent cure.

Sometimes an oil is just a bugger to wick under normal circumstances.  If a larger wick doesn't work, I usually go for a different wick series.  Eco would be my choice here probably. 

Are you sure you aren't over-wicked?  Over-wicking can cause tunneling too. (I haven't used 415 in many moons, so I have no clue what would be an appropriately sized wick.)

I've used a bunch of oils from AFI with no issues.  I've been pleased with all the oils I've tried so I don't think it's an oil quality problem as long as it is a FO for candles.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Several things could be the issue here.  A few thoughts:

You may not be doing yourself any favors burning so quickly after pouring.  As the wax cures, the burn can change. Sometimes a hard to wick oil can settle in after a bit and burn just fine.  I use a molasses FO that's like that.  Barely burns at first, but it burns fine after a decent cure.

Sometimes an oil is just a bugger to wick under normal circumstances.  If a larger wick doesn't work, I usually go for a different wick series.  Eco would be my choice here probably. 

Are you sure you aren't over-wicked?  Over-wicking can cause tunneling too. (I haven't used 415 in many moons, so I have no clue what would be an appropriately sized wick.)

I've used a bunch of oils from AFI with no issues.  I've been pleased with all the oils I've tried so I don't think it's an oil quality problem as long as it is a FO for candles.  

Thanks so much for your help! I’ve always waited 2 weeks before testing so I had no clue if I burned earlier that could be my issue. The scent throw is amazing! I could smell it within 15 minutes in our living room which is a very large room. I’ll give them some longer time to cure and try again. Thank you so much!! I super appreciate you!