6006 in 9oz Straight Side

Hello all! New to the forum, have been dabbling in candle making since November of 2019. I've come to the conclusion that Facebook groups and 99% of those on YouTube are filled with horrible information and guidance. HTP 93's and 104's are just too damn big for a small jelly or straight sided jar no matter what anyone says! I've been using 6006 with a 10% fragrance load and am now realizing it may not be the best course of action. I'm going to make some wickless testers using a 6% fragrance load and drop wick test them. I have HTP's and Zinc's on hand (both from The Flaming Candle as well as 44-28-18 zinc's from Natures Garden as TFC doesn't carry them). Another note to add, all of my fragrances are from Candle Science. I'm thinking for my first round of testing I'm going to drop in an HTP 52. Does that wick seem like a good starting place in this jar? Roughly 2.7in in diameter. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Sounds like a good plan. You can always go up! 

Depending on the FO and particular case of 6006 that may be perfect, too big or too small 😜

You aren’t lying about “particular case”. I’ve gotten thick Vaseline type 6006 and then I’ve gotten much harder more dry and flaky 6006 (has only happened with one specific vendor though thankfully). 

I think you are on the right track.  If memory serves, I think I used a lot of HTP 63s with 6006 in the jelly jars, but that’s been a long time back. I most recently used Eco 1 & 2 in that jar.  

BINGO on the bad info found on YouTube, etc.  The majority of new chandlers seem to be learning through those channels and spreading the info like wildfire, and that’s a scary thought.

10 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I think you are on the right track.  If memory serves, I think I used a lot of HTP 63s with 6006 in the jelly jars, but that’s been a long time back. I most recently used Eco 1 & 2 in that jar.  

BINGO on the bad info found on YouTube, etc.  The majority of new chandlers seem to be learning through those channels and spreading the info like wildfire, and that’s a scary thought.

SO scary. I was literally wondering last night if this year we would see a spike in candle related fires. Maybe the misinformation's always been out there and I'm just too new to candle making. BUT, YouTube and social media in general, seem to be amplifying it to a whole other level. I've learned to take all guidance on FB with a grain of salt hehe. Strictly there for fragrance suggestions and inspiration now. SO GLAD I've found this forum. Thank you guys for your help!

• Like 1