Can't wick a 8oz flint jar without smoke

I have to do a big batch of 8oz flint jars for someone (bit wider than a 8oz JJ), and I can't for the life of me wick it without smoking. I've used tins forever and they aren't a problem, but these are annoying. I understand what's going on inside the jar, and I've used the smallest wicks possible to melt the edges but it's still not even passable for a decent burn.

I've tested 4627, 6006, and Problend 400. All with HTP, LX. 

Is this causing so much of an issue because it's mostly paraffin? Or am I just being dumb somewhere along the lines? 

Thanks guys. I’m going to add a bit of 464 to the 4627 to mellow it out some and see if that works, I can’t really drop the fragrance load with the oils I’m using as they aren’t that strong so hopefully that’ll do the trick. Using about 8-9% load at the minute, I seriously don’t know how people are wicking 4627 at higher levels than that.

On 12/31/2019 at 10:21 AM, bfroberts said:

It is possible with 6006 and LX wicks.  I make a lot of those.  I also use 4630 with zinc wicks in the flint jars. I use 6% FO and cure for 2 weeks.

I tried that out, 6006 with LX wicks. Those wicks just don't like me, I can't get them to burn cleanly or self trim at all. Are you trimming them to shorter than 1/4 inch? I must be missing something.

In the end I used 4627 with some 464 and a small HTP wick, burned perfectly from top to bottom with zero smoke or soot.

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2019 at 9:21 AM, bfroberts said:

It is possible with 6006 and LX wicks.  I make a lot of those.  I also use 4630 with zinc wicks in the flint jars. I use 6% FO and cure for 2 weeks.

Would you say a 44-28 or 44-32 work in the flint jar with 4630? Do you also cure 4630 for two weeks?