What causes this?

IGI 4636 (from LS) in 9 oz straight jar, 6% FO, 3 drops of candlewic liquid dye, both LX and zinc wicks.

Almost a full MP (1/4" deep) at around 170 degrees F and a nice burn after 2-3 hours, but literally zero hot throw. But, when hitting the top with a heat gun until the wax just starts to melt, or right after extinguishing the flame, the HT is excellent.

I've actually noticed this on a few different wax and FO combinations, but can't seem to find a common denominator.

Edited by calan

42 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

if The candle wax smells when the wax is heated like in a melter or with a heat gun then the problem points  to wick.

I would wick down and see if that improves things.

That was my first thought also. But wicking down causes a small flame, and a partial MP at even the 3rd or 4th burn.

It seems to only happen with certain FO's (and I'm only using 4636 now, although I have some leftover PB600 testers that I'm still burning just for points of reference)... but I notice it fairly often. Hit the top with a heat gun to either level it, or after changing wicks, and it throws like crazy. But as soon as I light the wick...nothing. At all.

I thought maybe I was too hot and burning off the FO, rather than letting it evaporate from the MP, but changing wicks and even wick series doesn't seem to make any difference.

I'm also wondering if I'm just not getting the FO and wax mixed properly, although I have no idea how that could be. I use a low speed mini-blender while adding the FO and dye at 175-180, making sure not to get any air mixed in, and then stir with a flat spoon for at least two minutes until the wax has cooled down to around 150, and then I immediately pour into heated jars. I sometimes can see an oil film on top as they cool...not sure if that is normal or not. This is all at 6%.

Just another mystery to solve.  :)

Edited by calan

Not every wax / wick is compatible with every FO. Sometimes the FO challenges the wick too much. Happens a lot more than people realize, which is why we sound like a broken record with “test test and test some more”. 

live only had trouble blending a small number of fragrances. I could actually see them in the mixing pot settled to the bottom. 

did you try wicking up too?

it’s not the worst idea to have sample packs of many different wick series on hand. Just recently I had to resort to a series I NEVER use for several problematic fragrances. It was a Hail Mary pass that thankfully hit the target.

7 hours ago, TallTayl said:

it’s not the worst idea to have sample packs of many different wick series on hand. Just recently I had to resort to a series I NEVER use for several problematic fragrances. It was a Hail Mary pass that thankfully hit the target.

I have sample packs of just about everything, except CSN's and the paper core (the one's numbered like zincs).

I have one candle right now that just won't wick at all. It's "Dicken's Christmas" from LS, same 6% in 4636, 9 oz jar. I started with zinc 51 which at least usually burns decent in that combo, but it wasn't even close. Then went to a zinc 60 (largest I have), and swicthed to LX. Went from 18 through 24, and am now trying a premier 760. All I get are diminishing flames and carbon balls, incomplete MP, and zero scent. If this doesn't do it, I may try a soy wick (CD or ECO) ... otherwise I'm done with that FO.  :)

I'm getting nice burns with the LX-16/18 or Zinc 51's in these 9 oz jars now with some other FO's...just not much scent. May just be my nose though, so as long as the burn is correct I'm making progress I guess.

EDIT:  I may throw a Hemp-1400 in it just for giggles.  :)

Edited by calan
  • Like 1