Wick testing question

So to manage the number of test candles I was making, I started pouring my candles (464) with different FO loads without wicks. After my cure time, I’d poke a hole insert a wick and start testing. I could tell fairly quickly when I was over wicked -pull it - start again. Or realize I needed more cure time with a certain FO - and put it away again — everything seemed to be going well. I knew I’d never get a complete burn without a set wick- hoped I’d get down to about 1/4 wax left and suspected I’d probably get to the bottom 1/3. Well, I am only getting about 1/2 way thru the candle and the wick disappears. Melt pool seems to be fine, wick doesn’t appear to be drowning, candle isn’t too hot - just all of a sudden wick disappears. Do you think it’s because of “soft” soy or is it a wick problem?  Only thing I can think of is set the wick I *think* is gonna be right (has done the best the first 1/2 of the candle) - at the FO load I *think* is right (for the complete burn), let the damn things cure again and continue testing. Which, in reality, hasn’t reduced/saved me any time or effort at all. And may have added to my time/effort!  I might as well pour 6-8 candles with different FO loads and different wicks from the start! Would love all your Thoughts? Opinions? (Can’t believe I still feel this much like a “baby” newbie after 2.5 years)

Just wondering if you are having sink holes/ cavities near the wick. With soy it’s not uncommon. Try poking holes with a skewer near the wick and use a heat gun to remelt to fill in the holes. I do this the next day after I pour.🌸

Just realised you are pouring these wickless so I’m not sure this will help.

Edited by CandleRush

With soy the last 1/3-1/4 of the jar is very soft.  Not sure if you’ve ever noticed how soy wax burns, but the very top melt pool gets clear while the area below turns to mush.  If your tester wick is not tabbed it will for sure tip over.

easiest way to complete the all important test burn for the last part of the candle is to do a wickectomy and insert a tabbed wick for the remainder of the test. It could be your present wick is fine.  It could also mean your wick is too hot for the end of the jar.  That mush bElow the clearly defined melt pool quickly turns clear as the container heats up. Only one way to find out. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @TallTayl  i knew the wax was softening more toward the bottom — guess I just never realized how much once I was 1/2 way thru the burning process...will try your wickectomy method for setting wicks on next testers...it will save me time/effort if I determine a (probable) good wick/fo load and then set a wick once I am 1/2 way thru for the rest of the burn!

• Thanks 1