Jump to content

Aroma beads help needed please


Fallon
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!

This is my second time trying to make aroma beads for sachets that I’m making, and I’m still having problems. I purchased my beads and leather oil from Lone Star, and I started with 1 cup of beads with 1 tbsp of oil. After shaking for two weeks, the oil was finally soaked up completely. I added an additional tbsp to the beads, and it seemed to mostly soak up after another 2 weeks. 

 

The problem that I’m having is that they still don’t seem strong enough. Am I doing something wrong? I’ve previously purchased the same style sachets with leather aroma beads that smelled STRONG and lasted a loooonnngggg  time. I’m testing a sachet in my vehicle, and I was only able to slightly smell it the first day. 😕

 

I’m feeling pretty discouraged, so I was really hoping some pros (aka y’all) could give me some advice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Fallon said:

Thank you. So Lone Star’s beads are a problem, as well? I scanned through all 10 pages (lol) of that post but couldn’t find info on the beads from there. 

 

I’ll need to try out the pellets everyone recommends. Hoping that solves my problem!

Lone Star just recently started carrying beads and I've only soaked up a few of them. Haven't baked them yet but they did soak up fast.

Leather seems to take longer to soak than any oil I've used regardless of where it comes from. I think once we've been around all the oils and such we can't smell things as well as we used to. I bought a leather freshener from a supplier (aroma beads online/buy it ship it) and they supposedly sell them by the ton and I couldn't smell it much at all. I've also had people talk about how strong mine were but I couldn't smell them and vice versa. I hope this helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Belinda said:

Lone Star just recently started carrying beads and I've only soaked up a few of them. Haven't baked them yet but they did soak up fast.

Leather seems to take longer to soak than any oil I've used regardless of where it comes from. I think once we've been around all the oils and such we can't smell things as well as we used to. I bought a leather freshener from a supplier (aroma beads online/buy it ship it) and they supposedly sell them by the ton and I couldn't smell it much at all. I've also had people talk about how strong mine were but I couldn't smell them and vice versa. I hope this helps.

I hadn’t thought about that. I’m sorry to bother, but may I ask what your ratio of leather oil to aroma beads is?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fallon said:

I hadn’t thought about that. I’m sorry to bother, but may I ask what your ratio of leather oil to aroma beads is?

Don't ever worry about being a bother. That's what we're here for, to help each other.

I usually use 2 ounces of FO to about 12-16 ounces of beads when I use leather because it's one of the hardest to soak up. If I see I need more FO I can always add or add more beads if I see it's not soaking up. I"ve let some soak for weeks though before it's all soaked up. Leather is one of my biggest sellers and I sure do wish it would soak faster! LOL! I have heard that you can sit your beads outside if it's warm or inside a slightly warm oven (not hot enough to melt them though) and it'll help them soak up. I've never tried doing that though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Belinda said:

Don't ever worry about being a bother. That's what we're here for, to help each other.

I usually use 2 ounces of FO to about 12-16 ounces of beads when I use leather because it's one of the hardest to soak up. If I see I need more FO I can always add or add more beads if I see it's not soaking up. I"ve let some soak for weeks though before it's all soaked up. Leather is one of my biggest sellers and I sure do wish it would soak faster! LOL! I have heard that you can sit your beads outside if it's warm or inside a slightly warm oven (not hot enough to melt them though) and it'll help them soak up. I've never tried doing that though.

Thanks so much! I’ve actually dried my beads out in the sun, but they didn’t throw off enough scent either. It did help the beads soak up the leather oil a lot quicker, but I didn’t know if that’s why they didn’t smell strong enough. 

 

This batch, I did one cup of beads and tablespoon of oil and shook ‘em up for two weeks before they soaked up all the oil. I added another tablespoon and it took another two weeks to soak up that oil. I’m thinking of trying an additional tablespoon and throwing a jar in the oven to see how that works. 

 

You’re right..leather is VERY popular! I just wish I could get this figured out, because I have people wanting to buy but I’m waiting until I know they’re going to get a product they are 100% satisfied with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Belinda said:

Don't ever worry about being a bother. That's what we're here for, to help each other.

I usually use 2 ounces of FO to about 12-16 ounces of beads when I use leather because it's one of the hardest to soak up. If I see I need more FO I can always add or add more beads if I see it's not soaking up. I"ve let some soak for weeks though before it's all soaked up. Leather is one of my biggest sellers and I sure do wish it would soak faster! LOL! I have heard that you can sit your beads outside if it's warm or inside a slightly warm oven (not hot enough to melt them though) and it'll help them soak up. I've never tried doing that though.

I just checked Lonestar’s website, and this is what they said:

“Important Note: Be sure to allow the aroma beads about 8-10 days to cure before baking them. Baking them too early can make the scent throw very weak.”

 

Perhaps baking them would be a bad idea then? Or even setting them in the sun? I guess this would explain why my first batch didn’t work, but I certainly don’t know why this batch isn’t working either. Maybe their beads aren’t that great. Orrrr maybe it’s me? Lol!

Edited by Fallon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Fallon said:

I just checked Lonestar’s website, and this is what they said:

“Important Note: Be sure to allow the aroma beads about 8-10 days to cure before baking them. Baking them too early can make the scent throw very weak.”

 

Perhaps baking them would be a bad idea then? Or even setting them in the sun? I guess this would explain why my first batch didn’t work, but I certainly don’t know why this batch isn’t working either. Maybe their beads aren’t that great. Orrrr maybe it’s me? Lol!

I feel like my leather ones aren't very strong either. I'm not sure what the deal is and I've bought leather from several places and used different beads. To me, the leather from The Candle Source seems to have a stronger throw in beads for some reason. It's a nice leather. It smells different than the one from LS and Texas Candle Supply but nice. I didn't care for leather from BC or Daystar at all. Theirs is a very sharp leather. You might like it though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...