"Helper" FO's

calan

New to this candle-making thing, but not to blending "flavors" (I used to mix e-lquids quite a bit, and learned a lot about how flavor molecules blend and interact, etc). Anyway, in my early experimenting over the last few weeks, I've come across a couple of FO's that work very well to add that certain "something" that a fragrance might need. For example, I've found that FC's "Woods & Earth" has a very organic and mossy vibe going on, and works well to tone down the perfuminess (I may have just made that word up) of some scents, like tobaccos, etc.

I thought I would start this thread to see what some other people's favorite "helper" FO's are. And..... go!

• Like 1

I love Garden Dirt from NG for the same reason, it adds a wonderful authentic earthiness. 

I find that I often add some of Flaming's Golden Rum or Kentucky Burbon to bakery scents to make them a little more "grown up".

And I'll add patchouli and/or musk to pretty much anything that isn't a bakery scent. 😁

Oh, NG's Rain Barrel is another great helper fragrance, it is such a pure watery fragrance!

Great topic!

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

I love Garden Dirt from NG for the same reason, it adds a wonderful authentic earthiness. 

I find that I often add some of Flaming's Golden Rum or Kentucky Burbon to bakery scents to make them a little more "grown up".

And I'll add patchouli and/or musk to pretty much anything that isn't a bakery scent. 😁

Oh, NG's Rain Barrel is another great helper fragrance, it is such a pure watery fragrance!

Great topic!

That's an awesome tip, @Sarah S...adding the Kentucky Bourbon, etc. to bakery scents to make them more grown up.  You may have just single-handedly saved a dozen bottles of FO in my cabinet from being thrown out.  

• Haha 2

Yep... FC's Kentucky Bourbon is something else. Picked that up last week after reading the reviews. It is a very sweet, strong and unique scent that I think would enhance almost anything.

It does smell like bourbon somewhat, but with a little imagination it can smell like all sorts of things.  :)

Edited by calan