Need Feedback on Clear M&P soap

Candle Man

I have ordered ultra clear M&P soap from 2 different suppliers and have a question.

Is it drying to you?

I have tried both un-scented & scented. When I first use it, it feels nice & soft with great lather thin I rinse. Then after I dry my hands and rub my now dry hands together they don't slide & feel so dry.

Do any of you have this problem? Is there anything that can be added to make the soap more moisturizing?

I want to make rose petal soaps for Valentine's.

Thanks for any help.

Candle Man

If you'd like to keep the soap clear, the only thing I've found that helps and doesn't kill the clarity of the soap TOO much is fractionated coconut oil. It's a very "dry" oil, but it helps my soap a bit with the drying aspect. Unfortunately, if you add more than 1 T. per pound, it tends to make the bar softer (I usually balance my soft oils with hard butters or the like, but they turn the bar colors instead of keeping it clear.) Do you have your heart set on clear? Because if not, you should try some shea butter base..that stuff is awesome and not at ALL drying!!! Hopefully someone else can chime in here with smoe better advice!!! :)

I too had the same experience with the dryness after using M&P. After trying two different suppliers (also) with no improvement, I decided to stick with CP. BUt that doesn't help you with your rose petals. There are certain ones that add extra ingredients to M&P, Prairie Annie for one, but I am still stickin with CP.

I have has same experience with Clear MP... I dont do any only clear bars anymore.. I do opque amd I add everything under the sun to my MP;) , I will use clear with an opaque for things liek confetti bars.. and they have the added moisturizers in with the opaque curls and other color blocks I throw in..

but on its own.. I dont like this soap.

I have has same experience with Clear MP... I dont do any only clear bars anymore.. I do opque amd I add everything under the sun to my MP;) , I will use clear with an opaque for things liek confetti bars.. and they have the added moisturizers in with the opaque curls and other color blocks I throw in..

but on its own.. I dont like this soap.

I gave up on M&P because it was too drying for my liking. Can you please tell me what all you can add to the M&P without ruining it? Thanks

I've used WSP's soy base (which is not ultra clear-it has a tint to it) when I first did soap petals and got good results. The tint does not effect the petals- I did both pink and red. The FOs you use can effect the petals' color if they have a vanilla base (a stabilizer will help that).

You could try adding jojoba oil to the ultra clear to help with the dryness, as it will not change the base's color. HTH :)

I gave up on M&P because it was too drying for my liking. Can you please tell me what all you can add to the M&P without ruining it? Thanks

oh gosh.. the list is long.. I have added most every common oil.. I always add castor oil to boost the lather, vit E, I add cocoa and shea butters, dried milk, I add my own lotions to make a really creamy lotion bar similar to dove( mines better though:whistle:) oatmeal,honey,cocoa, cornmeal, apricot kernel and coffee(for scrubby bars)

the trick is not what you add.. but a good balance of amounts and retaining hardness and lather..

when I first started with Mp, I had everyone telling me what I CAN'T do with MP, I worked long hours.. proving them all wrong LOL!!

oh gosh.. the list is long.. I have added most every common oil.. I always add castor oil to boost the lather, vit E, I add cocoa and shea butters, dried milk, I add my own lotions to make a really creamy lotion bar similar to dove( mines better though:whistle:) oatmeal,honey,cocoa, cornmeal, apricot kernel and coffee(for scrubby bars)

the trick is not what you add.. but a good balance of amounts and retaining hardness and lather..

when I first started with Mp, I had everyone telling me what I CAN'T do with MP, I worked long hours.. proving them all wrong LOL!!

Could I ask if there is a 'soaping for dummies' site where I wouldn't feel so dumb asking stupid questions, lol? I'm a candlemaker drooling over everyone's soap. I dug out about 30 # of mp I bought a couple of years ago, & other than just melting & pouring, I have no clue what to add, why to add it, or where in the world to buy the stuff. I told you I had stupid questions. But I'm willing to learn, I think. Thanks,

Pam R

Could I ask if there is a 'soaping for dummies' site where I wouldn't feel so dumb asking stupid questions, lol? I'm a candlemaker drooling over everyone's soap. I dug out about 30 # of mp I bought a couple of years ago, & other than just melting & pouring, I have no clue what to add, why to add it, or where in the world to buy the stuff. I told you I had stupid questions. But I'm willing to learn, I think. Thanks,

Pam R

I have read on most supplier sites M&P has a shelf life of only 2 years. That 2YR old you dug out may still be ok for testing and your own use, but I wouldn't sell it. Then again the testing results may be effected due to an old base.

Where are some good sites that have info of what & what %'s you can mix with M&P bases? Also any info on what the add-in do, & what properties do they have (helps with lather, helps with dryness, helps moisturize etc.)

Most of my recipes are trial and error type:smiley2: , some of my ideas came from HERE!! (maryann is a good inspiration) and some came from

http://www.halderman.net/soap/index.html.... lots of good info here

and http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/recipe/recipes.asp?category=11

I use WSP all natural white base..I do get the clear for some things, but not much.. and I have used the clear with added titatnium dioxide.. and its NOT the same... I prefer the white base.

I find the M&P drying too..my sister on the other hand loves it:p

We do not use the ultra clear for the rose petals..just the regular stuff. It will not effect the outcome. I do however add just a little soybean oil to my soap.

I use pink. lavender, white and red petals with no need for the ultra clear(which itself has extra detergents to get it ultra :)

HTH