My Obligatory Newbie 6006 Wax and Wick Post

6006 Wax and Wicks  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which wick series do you find works more often in 6006 wax.

• CD
    • LX
    • ECO
    • Zinc
    • HTP
    • CSN
    • Premier
    • Other

I've just completed a round of very extensive testing that has taken 2 months and included many wick types, various containers and various FO's.  In my opinion, all of these wicks can work well in 6006.....CD, LX, CDN, Eco, HTP, wood and zinc.  There are way too many variables for me to say one type is better or worse.  There were times when any one of those was the perfect wick.  There were also times when any one performed the most poorly.  There were no times when one series was best every time.   

I am not one to use a bunch of different wicks, so my final determination was a bitter pill to swallow.  I liked one particular series for the 9oz ss jar and mason jars.  But I preferred an entirely different series for status jars and tumblers.  And still a different series for single wicked large diameter containers. But for large diameter double wicked containers, I prefer the same wick I liked for status and tumblers.  😕
I'm weary just typing that.

Testing can be very subjective.  The wick I like the least overall is one that many people prefer in 6006....CD.  They seem to be the most popular in 6006 so you might want to start there.  I don't like them, but I am obviously not normal.   

If I ever mention testing wicks again, I really hope someone reminds me of this folly.
Good luck.

• Like 3

On 6/15/2019 at 9:25 PM, bfroberts said:

I am not one to use a bunch of different wicks, so my final determination was a bitter pill to swallow.  I liked one particular series for the 9oz ss jar and mason jars.  But I preferred an entirely different series for status jars and tumblers.  And still a different series for single wicked large diameter containers. But for large diameter double wicked containers, I prefer the same wick I liked for status and tumblers.  😕
I'm weary just typing that.

What series did you end up preferring for the status jars?  I've got a ton of the  8 and 12 oz sitting in my closet.  Regarding those status jars, did you have trouble with air pockets in the bottom of the status jars?  Not so much on the 8 oz but struggling with the 12 oz.

42 minutes ago, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

What series did you end up preferring for the status jars?  I've got a ton of the  8 and 12 oz sitting in my closet.  Regarding those status jars, did you have trouble with air pockets in the bottom of the status jars?  Not so much on the 8 oz but struggling with the 12 oz.

Zinc.

I don't get air pockets in the status.  I pour hot...around 180.

• Like 1