Hurricane Idea for you experts to try

First off let me say that I have never made a hurricane candle, not that I remember anyways. ;) No offense to anyone making them cause I know they can be real boogers to make, but I just think they are too plain, just a picture on a candle right? (Dont beat me yet) When you do the color pictures there is just too much contrast between the picture and the mostly white wax around it. Has anyone taken a color (or b%w) picture and made a sketch out of it on print shop or some other program and used the black and white or even color sketch to make a hurricane? That idea is interesting to me because it could be printed on clear and it would just float on the candle with no edges or sharp contrast between the sketch and wax. It could also be reversed like Tucker was trying to do, you could make a negative of the scetch and get a white picture (have to use white paper not clear) to put on a black cane? I always think artistic (or autistic some say) and always try to go one step past the normal... I'm one step past normal myself, dont know if thats good or bad but it does make life interesting to say the least. :) No, Im not going to try this anytime soon, I have to flip sides in the basement so my candle making can have more room, its gona be a real long PIA. I think this idea would be great for a wedding cane, a sketch of the bride and groom on the candle. Bruce

There's all kinds of art you could embed that would be more interesting than the usual photo. The floating effect you're envisioning might be spoiled a bit by seeing the edges of the paper though. Problem with printing on a clear medium is that it may not lend itself to the embedding technique that's been common around here. 24# white paper is purportedly the only thing that works when you're sticking to the side of the mold with ice cubes. Were you thinking transparency sheets or something like that?

There's all kinds of art you could embed that would be more interesting than the usual photo. The floating effect you're envisioning might be spoiled a bit by seeing the edges of the paper though. Problem with printing on a clear medium is that it may not lend itself to the embedding technique that's been common around here. 24# white paper is purportedly the only thing that works when you're sticking to the side of the mold with ice cubes. Were you thinking transparency sheets or something like that?

Yes i was thinking of transparency sheets, I dont like the color change between the white paper and the color of the wax, you can almost always see that line between the pic and the wax. I guess doing the sketch printed on white paper would work, just trim it up following the lines of the sketch?

Hummm, maybe a water slide decal on the outside of the cane, glue stick or whatever to attach it, then one dip or clear wax in the good old dip tank to take the shine off the decal and make it look like its not just layed on the outside of the candle? Thinking...

Hey Bruce, I like your thinking. I'm also working on a few things as we speak. I might add that I have more failures than sucesses, but I guess that's what makes it happen. Hurricanes intrigue me and that's the medium I'm exploring at the momment. I like the challenge.

Overdipping doesn't seem out of the question, if the overdip could be thin enough. Strikes me as maybe tricky to overdip a hollow hurricane, but you're the expert at that sort of thing.

Another brainstorming track is to properly size the paper to cover the whole inner surface of the mold, with the edges meeting up at the seam.

BTW, lots of interesting transfer papers at http://www.lazertran.com/. Imagine embedding an image on silk. So upscale.

Overdipping doesn't seem out of the question, if the overdip could be thin enough. Strikes me as maybe tricky to overdip a hollow hurricane, but you're the expert at that sort of thing.

Another brainstorming track is to properly size the paper to cover the whole inner surface of the mold, with the edges meeting up at the seam.

Overdipping the hurricanes isn't that hard. That's what we do on the dried flower ones.

The photo ones I do the paper is sized to the mold, except for the one and only round one I just did. I'm not fond of the edges of the paper showing. Though I've been letting it show some at the top, rather than shortening the heigth to that of the paper. One time I had the top uneven and actually had the paper sticking up through the wax trying to level it. Very ugly

Be sure to post pictures of whatever you guys come up with. So far my favorite 'canes are the draped layers. Still working on the swirled motion version. Hard as heck to get those colored wax rings to work right in a 'cane.

got to get spell check downloaded on this computer.

I just came across this thread....and of course I put that link in my favorites, Top. I am going to experiment with clear paper.....I know that I can do it....just don't know if it will take a day or a month. I am not fond of the paper showing either, but haven't had the time to really do an experiment. I have some ideas that I am pretty sure will work.....now just to get some cane wax melting. I am right in the middle of putting flowers on candles, so have to put this on hold. This will be fun. As far as over dipping pictures, or decals, I don't like it. Wax can get behind a picture or decal and it looks terrible. I used to glue pictures on......very very very carefully or the glue will show through when lit. Wipe off any excess around the picture or it will be a mess. Then let dry overnight. Then cover with another coat of glue on the front of the picture so the wax won't be absorbed in the paper. Don't have to do that with a decal. Then let dry for another day so you don't get bubbles behind the paper. Not a good thing. Then holding it from the inside....dip into 200 degree wax. Then I do it again. Just when you think it looks good....beware....a few months down the road you can get bubbles under the paper or decal. Not a good thing. They looked ok, but do you see how many steps you avoid by just embedding? You know that I want to stay up until midnight trying my idea, but I am not going to do it. When I am tired I make mistakes. Maybe it's the wine too. LOL