DOS!

Courtney

For the first time EVER my soap got those dreaded orange spots! I have changed nothing about my recipe, still using the same brands of everything. Coconut oil, Palm oil and olive oil. And I just restocked them so I know they aren't old. I've made two other batches since I restocked and they're fine. So, could it have been the FO? It's the only thing different I've used. I used peppermint fluff from Nature's Garden. I'm baffled. Any guidance would be great.

It's possible it's the FO. Hard to say sometimes what causes DOS.  I've only ever gotten it once in a lavender soap and once in a tea tree soap.  After doing some reading it seems that it can happen with both for some reason. 

Do you have a picture of your soap? Are you sure it's DOS and not just unincorporated FO? 

As Shari said, it's hard to say what causes DOS - besides rancid oils which we all know can be a cause. 

It could be the environment they are in, the rack they are sitting on, if they have come into contact with any type of metal, if it's humid, not getting enough airflow - or just simply the FO. One just never knows if everything else is the same with other batches.