dimples are NOT cute.........what's up with this?

lightmyfire

Making melts is not new for me but I am so frustrated with what you can see in the photo.  The melt on the right is an example of the lovely melts I have been pouring for the last 5 months with several scents.  Beautiful, smooth tops.  The melt on the left is what I am now getting; this scent is "Sun Kissed Plumeria" (FC).  I thought maybe it was just this FO for some crazy reason.  But now it's everything that I'm making.  Wax= Ky tart wax.  Heat to 165 and pour at 150, like I always do.  Room temp in my studio is 70 degrees.  Between this and entire order of melts turning bright yellow I'm ready to pull my hair out.  Oh and yes, I tried pouring cooler........that didn't help.  I know it's ok that they're dimpled but I'd just like to know why. :confused:

Any suggestions?

IMG_0276.jpg.182fa8469870b2ca76869cb6196a701f.jpg

Is that the KY 133? Your dimples are adoreable compared to the craters I got with that wax! I will be the first to admit, though, I lack patience when it comes to pouring tarts, I pour too hot and I don't slow my cool. So I don't use that wax anymore, it's much too temperamental for my ham-handed approach.

Sorry, I know that was not useful at all! But if it is the 133 you're using, I doubt it's anything you are doing wrong. Dimples just seem to be the nature of that wax.

12 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

Is that the KY 133? Your dimples are adoreable compared to the craters I got with that wax! I will be the first to admit, though, I lack patience when it comes to pouring tarts, I pour too hot and I don't slow my cool. So I don't use that wax anymore, it's much too temperamental for my ham-handed approach.

Sorry, I know that was not useful at all! But if it is the 133 you're using, I doubt it's anything you are doing wrong. Dimples just seem to be the nature of that wax.

I use the Ky para-soy tart and votive wax.  

• Thanks 1

I used KY parasoy tart wax for several years before switching things up.  I ALWAYS had dimples with that wax, no matter the size or shape.  The way wax is refined varies from batch to batch, so you'll likely always experience variables to contend with.  I can tell you that the average person doesn't even notice the dimples, nor do they care.  With that said, I understand the desire to only offer and sell things that pass our standards.  So, here's your tip for removing the dimples... Add some container wax to your mix.  You'll have to experiment with the percentage that works for you, but start with about 15% container and 80% parasoy tart wax.  Hope this saves your sanity ❤️ I don't get on here very often anymore, but just passing on a helpful tip that may help others down the road too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, number2of7 said:

I used KY parasoy tart wax for several years before switching things up.  I ALWAYS had dimples with that wax, no matter the size or shape.  The way wax is refined varies from batch to batch, so you'll likely always experience variables to contend with.  

Now that I think about it I did just open a brand spanking new box of this wax...........the smooth one was from the last box.  Hmmmmmmm...........:blink:

I'm going to choose my battles and embrace the dimples.  Just so dang frustrating to see these 2 melts next to each other and wonder WTH?  I will save my frustration then for sinkholes, wet spots, wicks pulling out and let's not forget about wick selection.  

On another note, I have been giving tours of my little candle studio to my customers.  When I show them my inventory of wicks and my note taking process for testing candles, they are always amazed at the process involved in making a quality candle.  I really enjoy educating my customers on how to burn their candle to get the best results and how monitoring the burning process by using a wick dipper to guide as well as extinguish the wick really does make a better burning candle.  They are always so interested and appreciative and they all say "I had no idea how much thought goes into making a candle".  Then when I ask them to wait 2 weeks to make their candles they are more than happy to wait because they understand that it's a process and a craft.   

• Like 1

I think this wax is pretty similar to the pillar of bliss that I use (granules?) and I've had this same issue from batch to batch. I had the most amazing and smooth tops with a single pour and now I have to leave the top empty, let them harden and then do a 2nd pour. I don't think anyone cares about the smooth tops aside from me, but I still do the extra work of a 2nd pour. 😐

• Like 1