Killed by vanilla

Ramr

This is probably obvious to seasoned candlers  (chandlers?), but my putzing around blending scents has so far had pretty much two reliable results. Several of my blends where I put in 3 or more FOs, smell like mud. Nothing identifiable. Or if I blend anything with vanilla, all you smell is the vanilla. I have found it to be an overpowering scent in the extreme, even when it is used in less quantity. I measure it out by milliliters (teaspoons, tablespoons) because weighing stuff is not my skill yet. In one pound of IGI 1245 paraffin, 15 ml  (one tablespoon) is the max FO I've used and if any of that is vanilla, that is all I can smell.

Is this normal?

Also, I would like to try a sweet, smoky tobacco scent, every so lightly reminiscent of a wine dipped cigar. Any such scent out there? I have not looked. I am limited to ordering from Canadian suppliers. I am also afraid to do this as my last order I got Fuzzy Peach, which instantly hurls me into a coughing fit followed by eye-rolling migraine. I used it two times and then stuck that evil bottle in some far, forgotten corner. Stay there, evil stench water. The Spicy Cinnamon smells like Tea Tree Oil. The Cranberry smells exactly like the blueberry I have. It's high risk ordering from a written description. 

I was lucky that I got at least 20 bottles (more actually) of FOs in my unexpected  candling making supplies. But some of them are scents I would never choose in a candle for myself. Like Patchouli. Oh, no! Just no! It has been stuck in that far away dark corner too.

So slightly masculine, tobacco scent suggestions please and does vanilla trump all other aromas?

I googled 1 tablespoon equals how many ounces and it say it equals a 1/2 ounce.   The normal recommendation for adding oils to waxes is typically 1 ounce oil per pound of wax, so there could be your problem right there.   So I would start adjusting your oil and minimum use of 2 tablespoons of your oil since you don't use a calculator and go from there.

Trappeur

I've found that certain scents will "take over" most blends if used in equal portions, sometimes this can be a good thing though, depending on what you're wanting to do.  I rarely use regular Vanilla scent, but I do like to use French Vanilla or Buttercream, for instance.  When I have mixed vanilla, it has gone nicely with herbal scents or lavender, cinnamon, sandalwood, orange.  If I've mixed a scent that has become overpowered, I put a small amount of it in a bottle(s) and using other small amounts, add other scents that I feel will balance it.  In this way, you're only working with very small amounts and if you don't like it at all, mix something in there that you like that will overpower and use it in some way, forgetting about whatever you thought you were shooting for.  It's all experimental after all.  For your strong vanilla, I would try adding it to something you wish to mix it with, but start with using about 10% or so.  Just take notes while you are mixing as to what you've added, then you can do the math later for your recipe, some blends during the creative process can become rather complex, so there's no way to remember what you did unless you write it down as you go along.

@Sunday ... Ramr posted about having issues with getting supplies in this thread. 

It would seem that there are some U.S. suppliers willing to work with Canadian residents in providing a shipping method that works out okay.

Trappeur, one tablesponn (15 mls) is the MAXIMUM amount I have ever used in one pound of paraffin. If I blend two scents, they are 10 mls of one scent, 5 mls of another for a total of 15. Even at that ratio, even if the vanilla is the 5 ml scent, kapow! I seems to really take over. At first I was using no more than a teaspoon (10mls) of scent and that was not enough. Those candles had no throw.

Birdcharm, can you explain the difference between vanilla and French vanilla? The FO I have is just called vanilla and is very sweet.

Sunday, it's not that American suppliers won't ship to me. But Canada Customs turned a $20 order into a $60 ordeal. By the time the fragrance oils were in my hand they were the most expensive bottles of FO I've ever owned! So the problem is not American suppliers, it's our own rules and regulations!

1 hour ago, Ramr said:

Birdcharm, can you explain the difference between vanilla and French vanilla? The FO I have is just called vanilla and is very sweet.

I'm not real good at putting scents into words, but I'll give it a try -- of the French Vanillas I have tried, they are somewhere between a regular vanilla and a caramel or brown sugar, but not too heavy on the caramel, with a hint of a custard like quality.  I think it has a "heavier" quality to it than regular vanilla, which is more like vanilla bean or extract.  The other one that is on the same lines, but more creamy, sweet, is Creme Brulee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ramr said:

Sunday, it's not that American suppliers won't ship to me. But Canada Customs turned a $20 order into a $60 ordeal. By the time the fragrance oils were in my hand they were the most expensive bottles of FO I've ever owned! So the problem is not American suppliers, it's our own rules and regulations!

fair enough Ramr....I've just made peace with it!...

• Like 1