Candle Carving

Hey everybody,

My name is Savannah and I am new to carving candles. I’m learning quick and finally have a semi presentable candle to post on here. I’m running into bits of trouble here and there so if anyone’s willing to help, I’ll come on here from time to time and ask some questions. 

Best,

Savannah

AA97B416-0E4C-4DF6-962C-EB6D6629DD02.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

You should try them. 

There is a learning curve, but honestly they are not as intimidating as they look if you have the right tools. :) 

Have you made them? If you have then I would greatly appreciate some help! I’m a beginner and still on that learning curve as you say :)

10 hours ago, RocknRevvy said:

Have you made them? If you have then I would greatly appreciate some help! I’m a beginner and still on that learning curve as you say :)

I have made several types. It's been a long time, but what specifically do you need help with? I will try to give input. I am by no means an expert. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 6:46 AM, Jcandleattic said:

I have made several types. It's been a long time, but what specifically do you need help with? I will try to give input. I am by no means an expert. 

Well my main problem is at the end of the carving process when I take the tops off to crest the well.... some of the tops pop right off super clean and smooth and others don’t want to come off at all. It’s almost like they’re merged with the core candle and I have to like force a way out. I will post a picture to show you. I do not believe I am doing anything differently for the ones that work so I’m at a loss!

B1A300C7-883B-4ACE-AEF6-DBC90B6C05DF.jpeg

Could be because of the temp of the dipping wax, and it does melt a bit into the core candle, adhering more strongly. 

It's been a long time since I've made and where I have to cut out the top, but that would happen to me and I would just chalk it up to the dipping wax being a higher temp for those particular ones that don't. It's just an aesthetic problem so I wouldn't worry too much bout it. 

Since I use pigments, my carvings are not meant to burn, so when I do cut out the top I cut it big enough for a tealight, then I cut the wick down, so only the tealight is burnable. Or I pour my core candle to have a plastic well down the center to be able to fill with liquid paraffin, so, only the liquid paraffin burns and not the candle itself. 

• Thanks 1