Candle nose?

I’ve been burning my first post-test mode candle. I burned it three hours Friday and four hours yesterday in the room where we could enjoy it. Today it seems like the HT is much diminished. The burn has been textbook, better than I thought possible in an 11oz tureen. So I’m guessing that the problem is me. My questions are, does that seem reasonable, and how long should I wait to burn it again to verify my assumption?

Another question is will adjusting to the scent of one FO make it hard to smell other FO’s? I have eight candles that I will be testing starting next week to see if they need to be wicked up or down, but also to test their HT. I need to make sure my test results are valid.

In Another post that I read, someone suggested to burn a different scent for a day or two, cause you may have just gotten used to it 😁 i cant find the post to link it (still new and learning how to work this thing) but I think it is fairly common to get candle nose while testing 😃 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fairymoon said:

In Another post that I read, someone suggested to burn a different scent for a day or two, cause you may have just gotten used to it 😁 i cant find the post to link it (still new and learning how to work this thing) but I think it is fairly common to get candle nose while testing 😃 

I’ve been thinking about this and if I’m not mistaken there are a limited number of fragrance notes that will be used it the FOs. If this is true then burning a different candle might not work. If the FOs share enough ingredients then burning a candle today may make it harder for you to smell a different candle tomorrow. I think to avoid this you would need to burn candles from a different fragrance categories; so maybe a fruity candle, then a bakery scent, and then a floral. If I am just testing for fragrance and HT I’ll put the candle in a separate room and let it burn for a while before I go check it. I’ve got eight candles I need to evaluate for wicking, HT. and fragrance quality. I’m trying to develop a process to do that. This is going to be a little tricky. On a side note I was in the florist business for eight years when I was young. I still remember how wonderful it smelled the day I went in to apply for a job. I also remember how disappointed I was when after a week I couldn’t smell it anymore.  

I found several things changes my perception of the scent throw in my house. First was the humidity. I live in a place where we end gills to breathe this time of year. That alone made my candles throw different, and it made my house smell different. I pulled out all the area rugs and suddenly I can smell my candles a bit better. 

Air flow changes made a big difference too. The air conditioner moves air in different patterns. I could smell my candles down the basement stair well better than the main living area. 

Are your candles reaching full melt pool early and for and for sustained periods of time? When my candles develop a full strong melt pool early in the candles life, throw later in the candles seem more diminished, as if the scent has been consumed too early. 

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Are your candles reaching full melt pool early and for and for sustained periods of time? When my candles develop a full strong melt pool early in the candles life, throw later in the candles seem more diminished, as if the scent has been consumed too early. 

This was my first 11oz tureen test with FO and I am happy to report that, thanks to your help and guidance, this candle reached a FMP after four hours on the second day. More importantly the pool was not too deep in the middle. I’ve done three burns and I’m amazed at how well it has done. I should still have lots of unconsumed FO, which is why I’m hoping the problem is me. I'll take a few days off and then burn it again, that should answer the question.

• Thanks 1

Just want to add that I get a totally different throw from my test candles depending on where I set them.  On the south side of the bedroom.......nothing: on the north side of the room I do get a throw.......in my house, it's all about how the A/C return pulls the air from each individual room.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pam W said:

Just want to add that I get a totally different throw from my test candles depending on where I set them.  On the south side of the bedroom.......nothing: on the north side of the room I do get a throw.......in my house, it's all about how the A/C return pulls the air from each individual room.

My den has two vents on one end of the room and two doors on the other, each door is a straight shot to a return vent. If I burn a candle in the den the only way to judge the HT is go out in the hall or into the kitchen. 

Testing in the summer is such a trial! Fans going, AC going, sinuses weeping from allergies... The only room I can get good throw in is the "man cave". 🙄😆 And I'm hardly ever down there, so it's way too easy to forget I have a candle going. I can get acceptable throw in my kitchen, so I do the majority of my test burns in there, and if I'm on the fence about a fragrance I'll take it downstairs before I render the final verdict.

Next year I'm really going to try to plan better and have my new fragrances picked out and tested by the spring. Ok, probably not, but I'm going to TRY, lol!

I never test burned in my home.

I found it too full of scent, and I was immune to it there. I brought my candles to friends homes and had them test them, then I went over while they were burning to see if I agreed.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2018 at 10:29 AM, Forrest said:

My den has two vents on one end of the room and two doors on the other, each door is a straight shot to a return vent. If I burn a candle in the den the only way to judge the HT is go out in the hall or into the kitchen. 

My house is a 900sf cottage style, built in 1912.....my bathroom is in the middle of the house and if I do a test turn in there, the A/C return does pull the scent out into the hall and then into the living room.

That said, when I'm, making candles in the kitchen the scent does creep throughout the entire house and actually outside.......but that's with the wax/FO in the pot so it doesn't really count on the HT issue but it sure is nice....   :-)

• Like 1