A question that has been bugging me

I remember reading that the shelf life of FO is around one year, more or less depending on how you store them and environmental factors. My question is how long do they last in wax? I have some FO that is getting old and I would like to make candles with it, but if the fragrance is going to continue to degrade at the same rate, I'll just buy new FO. Now would be a good time as my wife will be gone for a week and won't realize I've bought more candle stuff.

• Haha 2

It all depends on the particular fo. I have some a decade old that are as fresh as the day they were made. Some are less than a year and have turned. Vanillas are tough to keep IME.

The year from date of manufacture seems to be an industry guide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Forrest said:

My question is how long do they last in wax?

IMO, once they are put into wax, they should last for the life of that candle. 

I have candles that were made 8-10 years ago that I am finally getting around to burning and the hot throw is as good as it was at the time they were made. The cold throw has faded but when burning, it's awesome. 

OOB that's a different story. There are many factors that go into how long they last. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1