Scales.

So, I'm finally getting into the groove of using my little presto pot and I am beyond happy with how quickly it melts the wax! Definitely a time saver and well worth the money! Now besides getting the timing and everything down (keeping heat, etc)... I'm having a bit of a different issue. I weigh out a pound of wax in my pour pot (well, actually-1 pound and 1.4-1.5 ounces just in case) on my little scale and pour it into my presto.

Normally using the double boiler method this amount would give me just a very little over 3 of my 8 ounce tins. In the presto it somehow only gives me enough to fill 2 of my 8 ounce tins and this is after I have made sure that I got every drop out of the pot. I'm wondering now if my scale is off... 😕 maybe I should just get a scale I can put the whole presto on and tare it out to weigh my wax instead of the pour pot? That would also kill off any issues with there being a little left over un melted wax stuck to the sides just from measuring. Or does the presto really just melt the wax to the point of it somehow... evaporating? What do you think?

And to humor me... because I think I really would like to get one... does anyone know a good accurate scale big enough to weigh everything in the presto?

Thank you as always! :)

Something is wrong.... the presto does not evaporate wax like that. 

Did you tare your scale to remove the weight of your pour pot before adding the wax? Those are about 5-9 ounces typically, depending on the size. 

Id not be moving a presto around like that. Too many chances of dropping it, burning yourself, sloshing wax, etc. then when you move to bigger batches you’ll need to weigh several times as the presto does not hold a full load until some wax begins to melt and fill in air spaces. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Something is wrong.... the presto does not evaporate wax like that. 

Did you tare your scale to remove the weight of your pour pot before adding the wax? Those are about 5-9 ounces typically, depending on the size. 

Id not be moving a presto around like that. Too many chances of dropping it, burning yourself, sloshing wax, etc. then when you move to bigger batches you’ll need to weigh several times as the presto does not hold a full load until some wax begins to melt and fill in air spaces. 

Yep, I did tare the scale. Since I’m am only using a pound at a time in the presto right now and I only move it once... just to pour the wax at the end into my pour pot, I figured it would be ok. I’d only planned on just sitting the presto on the scale at the very beginning unplugged and empty while I was weighing the unmelted wax in it before sitting it on its place on the counter and melting away. The only time Id ever move it is to pour the wax out at the end. I also already figured Id need to just get a ladle for when I start doing larger quantities.

I'm with TT on this. Something is wrong in your method of weighing or has changed or you didn't account for.

Weigh your wax in your pour pot. Don't weigh your presto pot with the wax in it like TT posted. That's an accident waiting to happen. Let alone it won't be easy or cheap to find a scale that will weigh out a full presto pot. Most won't go up that high.

Set your empty pour pot on the scale, tare it, then add your hot wax to make enough to fill your jars. Make sure you know exactly how much wax each jar takes. Don't guess.

You can get a good accurate scale at most candle supply stores. Many have the small Escali for under $30. Those scales weigh accurately, in lbs, oz, and grams, and they tare too.

• Like 1

When odd things happen during production it tells me my process is off. To eliminate process errors, I make check lists with calculated measurements, being sure to check off each step as I do it. When I skip the process step I end up making mistakes that take a while to figure out costing time and money. 

I write the weight of my pots on the pot itself with sharpie, then place a piece of clear packing tape over to protect it. This way if i forget to tare the math is simple. I also Write the tare weight on the process checklist, with a double check calculation of the whole pot with wax, and another with the weight of wax, the pot and fragrance.  This has saved me a lot of $$$. I do it for soap too, since a miscalculation when making soap can be serious.

Your scale could need new batteries. Mine has very wild mis measurements when the batteries are low. 

Keep it simple. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What I had meant when I was talking about “taring out” the presto pot on a scale instead of a pour pot at the beginning was like what this man does with his as I’m thinking I might just not be explaining it properly on here:

But I understand what you both mean. I’m thinking maybe it was just a huge fluke as it’s the very first time I’ve had this issue (it’s also one of the first times I’ve actually used my presto, so I’ll just chalk it up to beginning mistakes.) I do weigh everything as I’m supposed to (I’m aware of how much wax I need, I just like to have a little extra) so I’m going to try a few things with my scale today and just see if maybe I was off with something last night, I’ve had a lot on my mind so it’s totally possible! If not I’ll start looking into batteries or a new scale. :)

One thing I’ve noticed from reading around is that many people just go off and melt a bunch of wax in the presto and only pour out enough to fill their pour pot to whatever they need for the batch on their scale. Do either of you do this and just leave the remainder of the wax in your presto....?

Your scale could need new batteries. Mine has very wild mis measurements when the batteries are low. 

This, this, this.

Just a couple weeks ago I ended up with a batch of lye heavy soap because my scale needed batteries.  You might want to calibrate yours.  I've been checking mine every time I use it since then.

• Like 1

I just took out my little escali scale and weighed a few different things on it to check and everything seems to be coming up ok. I think I just must not properly tared out the pot or something really dumb last night in the midst of everything, haha. Accidents happen, right?! :whistling: My pour pot is a little over 8 ounces.... But I will be making more candles today so I'll get to the bottom of it!

• Like 1

Okay I watched the video and to me it does not make sense to weigh the presto pot when making candles especially when you transfer the wax from the presto, to your pour pot, then to your jar/container. Too much room for error and not an efficient way to weigh your wax out. How do you know what is left in the presto? That could be the difference you discovered right there.

Its much more efficient to tare your pour pot, then add your wax to it while you weigh it. That way you know how much wax is in your pour pot and not have to worry about what is still left in your presto. Besides, you waste wax that way.

When you watch Youtube videos or any candlemaking videos in the Internet always keep in mind that many of these are amateurs and not professional candle makers. Some videos may be good but the only way to know is if you are a master candlemaker yourself. So always watch these vids with a grain of salt.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

Well everything is all good now! Made a bunch of candles today and all the weights of everything worked perfectly. I must have just really messed up last night. 😕 really should have waited to have said something on here... haha. But hey! My scales ok, which is good! Thank you all for your help!

And @Candybee I absolutely agree with the YouTube amateur comment you made. Believe me, I definitely don’t just go off anything I see on there as the true way of doing things. I’ve read enough to know the difference. ;) I just wondered if weighing that way was an option is all.