Hurricane help please!

SatinDucky

Ok, I'm getting really frustrated with redoing these damn photo embeds. :mad: I've finally gotten it down to where there's no air bubbles, no wax layers peeling off, nice shiny smooth finish. Now this! It makes me sick to have to remelt yet again. Especially when I have no idea what caused these marks to begin with. Sorry for the blur, but my camera just doesn't do close up well. Sitting on this lady's shoulder is a crescent shaped white mark. There's no visible damage to the wax there and it wasn't on the picture before I put it in. The really odd part is.. when there's a light glowing through the pic, the mark disappears. There is actually a second one, smaller, beside her nose, but the camera wont show it.

post-27-139458391162_thumb.jpg

In person, it's a very crisp line, almost like thick thread. I'm wondering if that's what a thin slice of fingernailing would look like, since it's a very thin layer of wax over the picture. Dunno :sad2:

On a better note... I think I just may have saved it though. I have some metal carving tools, like for clay and such. I heated a spoon tool and pressed it over the lines and they're gone! I was able to clean up the edges from melting too. Of course, the surface isn't perfectly even now though. I always spray a clear glaze over them, and I'm thinking that might fill in the slight depression where the lines were. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. Can't hurt to try ;)

Just a thought....I am only allowed one a day...LOL....but could it possibly be just some little bit of thicker wax. I know that if I hold the ice cube on a spot longer than on another, the wax there will set up and be thicker than the thin coating on the rest of the picture. Does that make sense? I haven't had mine look like that....so this is still a mystery. Is this the first time for this type of mark? Wish I could see it in "real time". Glad you could fix it. We need to know what is happening so it doesn't HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!!!! I like things to go smoothly and not have to re-do something that is already done. Another thought, and this is hard to put into words, but if the picture starts to float away from the mold and then you push it back, some wax may have set up already and then the picture won't stick to the metal, but to that little hard piece of wax. Hmmmmmmmm Donita

I don't really think it was thick wax. One reason I always make the photo ones square is because I cut the paper the exact width of the mold. Once I put it in, it stays pretty darned good. Granted, I do run the skewer over it as I cool it anyway, just to keep the corners down good and make sure no place is the wax even the tiniest bit thicker. It seems like it was an air fracture of some sort when I melted the spot. It melted easily. I did a second one last night as well, but haven't unmolded yet. I had no idea just how popular these were going to be. I mean, I'm grateful for the income and exposure, but I want to make pillars...lol.

Ohh, remember Lukes thread when I mentioned the round tool caddy? You said it didn't work well for photos. It's kinda like waving a red flag in front of a bull! I've got one of those waiting to unmold as well :rolleyes2 I hadn't tried them because I like them square, but I couldn't resist trying...LOL

Hmm.. no, not my family. It's an order for a neighbor.

Added: In the hour it's taken to get this reply to actually post, I've unmolded both of the other two. The 2nd square one has one of the marks as well! Wonder if it's because it was pouring rain yesterday.

The round one came out great. Not one mark. Figures, that one wasn't for an order...lol

Speaking of a "round tool caddy" (way off topic now)

I got one of those tool belts that goes around the top of a 5 gallon bucket...and its got a holder inside for a cordless drill etc...

I keep all my knives and scrapers and screws and even differnt size wics in little plastic baggies and everything else in the little pockets outside...inside a I have my blowtorch stuff and hammer and large chisel etc...

and I have my heat gun in the drill holder slot...

every candle maker should have one.

I am so organized.

Women want me, Martha Stewart fears me.

BTW: the hurricane is really cool. I can make them really big, but I'm still working on making them pretty like the rest of you. :)

I got one of those tool belts that goes around the top of a 5 gallon bucket...

I keep all my knives and scrapers and screws and even differnt size wicks in little plastic baggies and everything else in the little pockets outside...inside a I have my blowtorch stuff and hammer and large chisel etc...

and I have my heat gun in the drill holder slot...

every candle maker should have one.

I am so organized.

Now, I KNOW you're a newbie! LOL If you can fit all your wicks on the outside of a 5 gal bucket, or even all of the IN the bucket, you haven't been doing this long. Either that or you're just not obsessed enough yet :P Though I do admit, all the tools and such isn't a bad idea. Mine are all stored on my workbench in easy reach though.

My stuff get organized about once a month. And stays that way about 24hrs til I start playing in the wax again ...lol

Women want me, Martha Stewart fears me.

She does seem more like an alien than a woman. The little green guys musta kicked her outta their ship :laugh2:

Yeah she is an alien. I actually completely ripped that saying off of an apron I saw the other day. lol. long live plagurism.

Actually I leave all the wicking to the rest of you candle geniuses.

I just make the hurricane shells, that most chandlers are afraid to...

I can say in all humility...I and parafin bravely go where no candle maker has ever been...

Actually I'm working on another project deep in the bowels of of my candle laboratory that I'm sure the world will be as jealous of as they are of my hurricane's size...

and my really cool toolbelt bucket...

:)