Patent on making a candle

I can't imagine, but just to be safe (since I too have rice bran wax) I'll be adding a modification to her process by adding a California Sauvignon Blanc to the equation at a 1:1 ratio.  I'm consuming  5-6 oz of wine for every 5-6 oz. of rice bran wax poured.  In fact, I may apply for a patent on this myself: Locally sourced wine consumption while composing fragranced candles using plant based waxes and at least 1 wick.   ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I think there are two patents dealing with rice bran wax + oils. If this is the patent I'm thinking it is, it might be defendable due to the novel use of the rice bran wax... Nope, this isn't the patent I originally read. I don't think it will have much luck at defense, since most experienced chandlers know to use high melt point waxes (rice bran included) to counter low melt point ingredients in the creation of a candle wax. Also, a much more detailed patent using rice bran + oils was filed five years prior.

This patent was submitted before the one in the OP. It's much more informative if you'd like an interesting and somewhat technical read.

You can find candles made with this process on Etsy. The seller claims to have a patent pending. Whether the seller is tied to either of the patents mentioned, I have no idea. Nevertheless, the idea of using liquid oils as fuel/filler for a candle and creating a candle wax based on crystalline structure is novel, IMO. I haven't seen many - a single book, a study, and the patents - addressing the crystalline structures of waxes (rice bran in particular) beyond frosting, cracking, and wonky cauliflower tops. The use of liquid oils, that aren't FO's, in significant percentages? Blasphemy!

I'd give it a try. The patent could turn out to be a total dud. I tested a patent using cetearyl alcohol, coconut 92F, and palm wax (I couldn't obtain the specific palm wax called for)... It was a dud - more suited for pillar candles, despite the process being a jar candle. Mind boggling strong CT, delicate but strong HT. Bizarre crystal formation. Burned like a torch, were too hard, had no adhesion, and any using palm + cetearyl formed cavernous air pockets. Needless to say, I learned my lesson: not all patent claims are sound.

Edited by Kerven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1