Lavender Sage?

Gsmakinsoap

I was recently at Hobby Lobby, and I sniffed a candle there (can't remember the brand) called Lavender Sage. It was very pleasant, and I could smell both scents equally well. I knew I had the Pure Fragrance Oils Lavender Sage at home, and after sniffing it later, I was disappointed that it wasn't near as nice. I think the candle I smelled had more of sweetness to it, and wasn't so "astringent" smelling, for lack of a better word. So, I decided to try and sweeten mine up with some brown sugar FO. Then, I had some Frank and Myrrh sitting there that I'd just made soap with, so I thought I'd put some of that in too. I ended up with a pretty good smelling manly scent. But it was nothing like that candle! Anybody have any ideas for how to sweeten up the Lavender sage besides brown sugar? Is there a white sugar FO out there? LOL. Or maybe I need to start with a really sweet smelling lavender. Is there such a thing?

Yes. You need to start off with a more floral lavender rather than a herbacious or camphorous one. I love using honey FO to sweeten and tone down harsh notes. EBB makes a wonderful honey l' occitane that mixes well with florals. They also have a manuka lavender  FO which is honey made from pollen gathered from lavender flowers.

• Like 2

I recently received a new set of samples from bulk apothecary. Their white pepper lavender FO is basically the best lavender FO I have ever smelled in my life. It is basically perfect. Subjective, most definitely, but seriously it's really awesome.

I haven't been impressed with any sage FO's I have tried from anywhere yet, but I added just a tiny bit of rosemary EO to some of it (rosemary EO is super strong but very affordable given such a tiny amount smells so insanely potent) and that came out really great.

Edited by NaughtyNancy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NaughtyNancy said:

I recently received a new set of samples from bulk apothecary. Their white pepper lavender FO is basically the best lavender FO I have ever smelled in my life. It is basically perfect. Subjective, most definitely, but seriously it's really awesome.

I haven't been impressed with any sage FO's I have tried from anywhere yet, but I added just a tiny bit of rosemary EO to some of it (rosemary EO is super strong but very affordable given such a tiny amount smells so insanely potent) and that came out really great.

White pepper lavender sounds interesting. I love lavender blends. Going to put this on my wish list.

I used to use a white pepper and clove FO from Fillmore. It was such a wonderful fragrance and I thought the white pepper is what pulled it all together. Unfortunately, it was discontinued and I was very disappointed. But I will never forget how I learned to like white pepper as a blender. Wonder what makes white pepper scent?

9 hours ago, Candybee said:

White pepper lavender sounds interesting. I love lavender blends. Going to put this on my wish list.

I used to use a white pepper and clove FO from Fillmore. It was such a wonderful fragrance and I thought the white pepper is what pulled it all together. Unfortunately, it was discontinued and I was very disappointed. But I will never forget how I learned to like white pepper as a blender. Wonder what makes white pepper scent?

I have no idea, myself, this is my first time getting any FO with "white pepper" in the name, and honestly I don't smell anything peppery about it on a quick first impression. It just smells like a really nice spa-like lavender to me. I work a little bit with pink peppercorn essential oil, and maybe if I'm focusing on it, then I can detect that sort of pink pepper quality, very subtle, though, so I wonder if they are imitating that to some extent. To me pink peppercorn EO is definitely warm in its aromatic quality, but more so than that it smells kind of spa-like, just has a sort of.. wet-heady depth to it with some kick, will really flood your nostrils with a strong warm-humid blast. That is about as close as I can guess for a white pepper fantasy note, if maybe there is imitation going on there, but maybe perceiving the "pink" as the mildly fruity part and trying to remove it, so just getting the humid warmth with some kick. I'm not sure if "pungent" is a good word, since it sometimes seems to be used in a negative light, but to me I like that heavy, humid sort of spa quality.