First run with 6006

So i just poured my first run using 6006. I used a little over 6% FO and double wicked with zinc 36-24-24 in 16oz 4” diameter containers. 

I didnt preheat the jars on this run just to see how bad the wet spots could be but there are none but I do have pretty bad sunken spots in the middle to where it’s an actual hole. I just used a heat gun to resettle it. From what I’ve read on here it’s caused by uneven cooling. Would preheating the jars fix this? (They cooled at room temperature about 72 degrees) also just for reference I heated to 185, added Dye block, added FO, cooled to 170 and poured. By using the heat gun trick, does that fix it totally or can that cause uneven burning in the future? This is only about my 4th run making candles total. I started with 464 and didn’t like the hot throw so I’m trying this now. 

I never preheat my jars and I am an IGI 6006 user. I absolutely love this wax. 

I heat my wax to around 188•F then immediately take it off, put FO and dye in. (if using dye) stir continuously for 2min and recheck temp. Then I pour at 180•F.

Make sure you are pouring your candles slowly, but not too slowly. I have heated 6006 to 185•F, added FO, and poured at 168•F. This is the lowest I've ever poured at and I still did not end up with sink holes. 

Are you continuously checking your temp? I know that when I first started making candles, I wasn't checking my temps. I ended up with holes straight down the middle. Pouring too hot/cool was my mistake. 

I just did a test burn and so far the hot throw is so much stronger than the batch I did with 464.  I think I'll have to bump up one wick size. The 36-24-24 are leaving small edges of un melted wax but I guess I won't know until I light it 1-2 more times. I'm making another batch right now with 44-24-18 & 44-32-18 to see the difference. Does anyone know what the actual numbers mean? I'm guessing the first is something to do with the girth but what are  the other 2?

By the way that first batch I got a few wet spots that showed up after a few hours, I'm hardening these ones inside a small cabinet to slow the cooling.  I hope that fixes the holes and the wet spots. I'm going to pour at a higher temp too. 

I’m using a 60-44-18 in a 4 inch tureen with 6006, but I just bought some CD wicks to try. I have poured around 100 candles with 6006 and never had a wet spot. I just pour them and let them cool on the granite counter top, so they cool relatively quickly. I don’t know why I don’t get them. I’ve used 6006 from 3 different suppliers, so I don’t see that as a factor. I usually pour at close to 170, but sometimes I pour at much less. Are you stirring your wax for 2 minutes when you add the oil?  

8 hours ago, Forrest said:

I’m using a 60-44-18 in a 4 inch tureen with 6006, but I just bought some CD wicks to try. I have poured around 100 candles with 6006 and never had a wet spot. I just pour them and let them cool on the granite counter top, so they cool relatively quickly. I don’t know why I don’t get them. I’ve used 6006 from 3 different suppliers, so I don’t see that as a factor. I usually pour at close to 170, but sometimes I pour at much less. Are you stirring your wax for 2 minutes when you add the oil?  

You're using a single 60-44-18? I'd like to try that. Yes I stir it very well slowly. I'll try pouring at a cooler temp next run if this last batch ends up with spots or holes.

Edited by jguff330