Joy Wax

I'm new to making  candles. I decided to order Joy Wax & oils from Natures Garden Candle company.  Made 3 dozen  candles, very disappointed! All the testing I did every candle burned dirty with so much soot. The oils smelled cheap and all the candles felt like it was full of chemicals. I'm now going to order 100% soy wax from another wholesaler.  I hope this helps some of my fellow candle makers out there. Can anyone suggest a good wholesaler that sells only American made products, thanks. 

Edited by Karen Dart

It could be that you had the wrong size wicks in the initial wax. I know a lot of people that use Joy Wax from NG and make awesome candles with it. Are you using the fragrance oils from them as well?

The only time I get that cheap, fuel type scent with fragrances I use, is when I'm wicking too hot. That's also the only time I get a "dirty sooty" candle as well. 

Soy will also soot with an improper wick, but you won't see it as much, as soy will usually have white soot. 

I have to agree when I first started, which was not that long ago maybe a few months, the problem was me n not the supplier. Using wrong items, not correct temp, not curing ling enough, over using additives, wrong formula calcs. I use items from NG and my end result is fantastic. Just a FYI :)

I understand your frustration.  I experience it on a daily basis...LOL.  Joy wax is a fine wax, and NG is a reputable supplier.  I use them for several things.  Chances are you were using the wrong wicks/wax/jar/FO combination.  Making candles is tricky business.  All scents will not throw in all waxes, and your wicking has to be on point for a optimal scent throw and a clean burn.   If you could provide a little info, I'm sure someone could make some suggestions that could help you get better results.  What container, wick and FO's were you using?  How much FO did you use?  How long did you cure?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I understand your frustration.  I experience it on a daily basis...LOL.  Joy wax is a fine wax, and NG is a reputable supplier.  I use them for several things.  Chances are you were using the wrong wicks/wax/jar/FO combination.  Making candles is tricky business.  All scents will not throw in all waxes, and your wicking has to be on point for a optimal scent throw and a clean burn.   If you could provide a little info, I'm sure someone could make some suggestions that could help you get better results.  What container, wick and FO's were you using?  How much FO did you use?  How long did you cure?

Great suggestions. Hopefully the OP will come back so we can help them.