Burn Tests

Bia

Hello!

Even though we advise to burn a candle for no more than 3-4 hours, many people exceed this time and expect the candle to "function" properly.  The other day I was at Jo Malone store in Sao Paulo and the sales person told me they burn the same candle all day!  The candle had 1/3 left and was all liquid.  I asked if there was a time limit to burn the candle and she said "nonsense"!  

Taking this into consideration, I felt doing burn tests of 3-4 hours each will show the candle's performance in an ideal situation.  But most people will not respect this time frame, so...

When you test your candles, how long do you typically let them burn?  

Any helpful hints to successful testing? 

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Bia said:

Hello!

Even though we advise to burn a candle for no more than 3-4 hours, many people exceed this time and expect the candle to "function" properly.  The other day I was at Jo Malone store in Sao Paulo and the sales person told me they burn the same candle all day!  The candle had 1/3 left and was all liquid.  I asked if there was a time limit to burn the candle and she said "nonsense"!  

Taking this into consideration, I felt doing burn tests of 3-4 hours each will show the candle's performance in an ideal situation.  But most people will not respect this time frame, so...

When you test your candles, how long do you typically let them burn?  

Any helpful hints to successful testing? 

Thanks!

One we burn for the recommended time lengths. If that wick works, we power burn from start to end. 

I dont put a whole whole lot of stock in advice from floor sales people. Nor do I have faith people follow instructions on candle labels. So we aim for a safe candle for people who don't time their burns. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

One we burn for the recommended time lengths. If that wick works, we power burn from start to end. 

I dont put a whole whole lot of stock in advice from floor sales people. Nor do I have faith people follow instructions on candle labels. So we aim for a safe candle for people who don't time their burns. 

Great! so if it works well for 3 hours you just let it burn until the end? what if it's a 40 hour candle?

While you're power burning are you lenient with a bit of soot and the flame getting higher and moving around?  I've noticed a nice flame from 3-5 hours, but then at 10 hours it's dancing and throwing soot.  Is this acceptable?

Edited by Bia

1 hour ago, Bia said:

Great! so if it works well for 3 hours you just let it burn until the end? what if it's a 40 hour candle?

While you're power burning are you lenient with a bit of soot and the flame getting higher and moving around?  I've noticed a nice flame from 3-5 hours, but then at 10 hours it's dancing and throwing soot.  Is this acceptable?

I burn one from start to finish in 3-4 hour increments. If it passes, then powerburn for hours I am awake and can watch. If it starts getting larger flames that seem potentially dangerous or soot it is back to the drawing board for a better wick alternative. Once the candle begins to overheat the rest happens very quickly.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2017 at 12:18 AM, TallTayl said:

I burn one from start to finish in 3-4 hour increments. If it passes, then powerburn for hours I am awake and can watch. If it starts getting larger flames that seem potentially dangerous or soot it is back to the drawing board for a better wick alternative. Once the candle begins to overheat the rest happens very quickly.

How can you tell a candle is overheating?