Question on testing fragrance oils

I started off as a newbie in the spring and lots of testing, hundreds of dollars, and many hours spent on this board, I can some pretty good candles if I stick to the two containers and wicks I use. My question is how can I test fragrance oils faster? I’m using 6006 wax and making a candle, then waiting two weeks is not going to get me ready for Christmas. Could I make melts and test them in a few days? Any advice would be appreciated.  

Melts will you give you an idea on the actual scent and whether you like it or not. But will give you zero guidance on testing for the candle.

And FWIW, you do not need to wait 2 weeks to test 6006, regardless of what you've heard or read. Its mostly parrafin for starters, but 2 weeks

is just not necessary. If you are overly concerned about it.. do all of your tests after a couple days, but keep one and retest after a couple weeks.

Ill tell you Ive used 6006 for years, i always test after a couple days, never had problems.

Good luck!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

Melts will you give you an idea on the actual scent and whether you like it or not. But will give you zero guidance on testing for the candle.

And FWIW, you do not need to wait 2 weeks to test 6006, regardless of what you've heard or read. Its mostly parrafin for starters, but 2 weeks

is just not necessary. If you are overly concerned about it.. do all of your tests after a couple days, but keep one and retest after a couple weeks.

Ill tell you Ive used 6006 for years, i always test after a couple days, never had problems.

Good luck!

Thank you so much. That was very helpful advice!

• Like 1

If I am testing fragrance throw ONLY, I will pour a small 3oz container and not concern myself overly with wick perfection. Or I will do as you suggested and make a couple melts to test. If it doesn't throw well for either of those, I skip it and move on. There are so many great FOs out there that throw well, why struggle? 

If it throws well during a test burn, I will move on to test the container/wick combo I plan to use, pouring only 1/2 the container and using an untabbed wick so I can switch mid burn if needed. Once I find the right wick, then I pour a full candle and test it for performance. More steps, but saves resources, and can be done inside a week. And it cuts down on the candle graveyard, lol.

• Like 1

6006 is awesome wax. I wait 24 hours and then start my test burns. wthomas57 is correct - two weeks is completely unnecessary. And if a fragrance doesn't throw between 7%- 8% I move on. Like Sarah S said - there are so many great FOs out there - don't struggle trying to force one. 

Years ago I started with only ten fragrances. I had two sizes of candles and the rest in tarts. And I sold out at my first holiday craft show. I spent 9 months in R&D just to get to

that point - so don't feel stressed about time. It takes time to craft a candle that burns properly and safely.

Customers will buy from you even if you only have five holiday scents ready - simply because you've created the very best Pine, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Cranberry, and Pumpkin scented candles. Customers know quality when they see it and smell it. And they'll hear it in your voice when you talk to them - because you'll exude 100% confidence in your products.

Just focus on your best candle/scent combos. Don't feel rushed. Make your display and packaging as professional looking as possible. Offer a nice holiday stocking stuffer special. Something affordably irresistible. :-) 

And be ready with your business story. People really LOVE knowing Why you do what you do. It helps them fall in love with your product even more. And it helps them

see you as a real person - someone working hard to make your dream come true. 

The number of fragrances you offer won't matter. The quality and appearance of your product will.

It sounds like you're really working hard to do this right. So don't try to rush testing. It will drive you crazy.

Focus on what you have that's genuinely good to go. 

I think you'll be a hit. 

Just my two scents. ;-)

• Like 5

I use 6006, and I find the burn noticeably different after a 1-2 day cure versus a week or longer cure.  Throw is a consideration, of course, but the biggest difference for me is in the burn.  I get a much better burn after a week or longer.  I've incorrectly wicked dozens of candles because I tested too soon, and that is a lesson I won't forget.  Your findings may be different, but I would definitely make a comparison and see for yourself.