RRD wicks vs Heinz Coreless (CD) in vegetable hybrid wax

Hi All,

Doing some testing behind the scenes.  For the last 10 years have used a 50/50 blend par/soy.  1.25 oz per pound FO and zinc core wicks.  Zinc cores throw so well.  Having some issues as many are with my wax now that has soy blended in it.  All of a sudden not holding 1.25 FO load that I have always used. Heating, blending and pouring at all the temps I have always done with no prior problems.  Cut back to 1oz FO pp and still bleeding out.  Like...all of a sudden this out of the blue ? In addition, wax is cracking and tunneling.  I am using same FO's. Room temperature 74° and candles covered for slow cool down. Nothing has changed from my end ?

Getting disgusted because I have a large clientele and bunches of shows.  Have enough candles that were made to get me through the Fall in inventory that I made before this shenanigans... Thank God!!!

Anywhooooo... testing out a coconut / soy wax hybrid.  Papercores don't throw in this wax and zinc cores are too hot for this wax.  Loving both RRD and CD wicks. CD seems to burn a bit hotter and fast.  RRD slow burn, but the mushroom bugs me.  Wicked down and it drowns.   

Picking your brains on your pro's and con's of RRD vs Heinz Coreless (CD)

Sorry so long ?

Corgi Caper 

What kind/brand of soy? Was it a pre-blend? Loads of us are having soy issues in the thick of selling season. C3 users like myself are having to wick up several sizes while 415 and 463 users are having to wick down 2 sizes, it is a horrible situation for all of use soy users.

i use cd's, cdn's and csn's in my soy and parasoy. Have not used 50:50 blends, though.... 

csn of the same size as cd tend to be a half step smaller. 

Not many here use coconut wax.

• 8 months later...
On 8/1/2017 at 7:57 PM, CorgiCaper said:

I am testing a coconut hybrid from Candles and Supplies.  It's a proprietary blend for them.  Mostly coconut and a tad of soy.  Cold throw is outstanding.  Testing wicks right now. 

@CorgiCaper, how did your wick testing go? I'm about to test with CD wicks in this blend and would love to hear your thoughts.