Newbie with a question

Been lurking and learning for a while, it is such a great group I thought I should join in. I am strictly an amateur. After many failed attempts at soy candles I switch to 6006 wax and I’ve made some decent container candles, but I still have a long way to go. My question is about slowing the cooling process. Is the purpose of this cosmetic, or does it help the scent throw? A second related question is does the wax need to breathe during cooling? I drilled a hole in some plastic plates and I use those for wick holders during cooling, the idea was to prevent evaporation of the FO. Lastly thanks for all y’all have taught me, I never would have made it this far without you.

Welcome!

A couple of forum regulars here use 6006. I remember a long thread recently as two were debating its merits against 4630. 

Covering while cooling won't necessarily prevent escape of scent. Those volatile elements will escape as soon as the plate is moved anyway. The plate is cooling differently than no cover at all, and may change how the candle wax sets up. It may be shinier or duller depending on the exact conditions in your work area at the time. 

Many retailer places  I have read suggest cooling slower to prevent air pockets from forming within the jar. This is something you figure out as you go. Sometimes straying from the path gives better results, sometimes not.  Keep making them though, and figure out your secrets. 

In the case of 6006, imo, the pour temp and cooling are more about the aesthetics of the wax. I find this wax to be very forgiving in all areas. I do cover mine while cooling, just with a sheet of paper, to take away the drafts. But honestly I have never had anything other than smooth tops with it. I do it just as a precaution more than anything else. Covering won't keep any of the oil from burning off, but it does help with the look of some of the waxes I work with (not particularly 6006 tho).