to tab or not to tab?

stupid question time. Figured i would rather look like an idiot than hurt someone.

someone who may (or may not) know what they are talking about told me that it is not necessary to tab all pillar and container candles? Just measure the correct length center and pour around it. That just din't sound fire safe. Can anyone tell me yes or no?

Thanks for your help

Candi

someone who may (or may not) know what they are talking about told me that it is not necessary to tab all pillar and container candles? Just measure the correct length center and pour around it. That just din't sound fire safe. Can anyone tell me yes or no?
Pillar wicks are tabbed sometimes but it's not necessary. Containers absolutely should be and the tab should be secured to the bottom so the wick stays put. You can use a wick stickum, hot glue gun, or silicone.

i never tab pillars number one reason being many holders have that center spike thing for them to set on. second is you never burn a pillar all the way down and therefore I don't wick clear to the bottom of the pillar, i leave about 1/2" at the bottom...ditto what everyone else says about containers and tabs, if your still unsure just set a wick in a container and see what happens when that melt pool gets close to the bottom......POP...it'll scare the beejesus out of ya

I don't do pillars, but I never make a container candle without tabbing the wick. I use wick-stickums and silicone to set my wicks so they don't move. If you don't, the wicks will migrate towards the end of the burn and cause the glass to get too hot.