Here is your chance to help write a book.

Here is your chance to write the booklet on candle safety. These are some of the ones I had written down in my notebook since I started making my own candles a year ago. UPDATED to add things that I did not have on list.

If I started this in the wrong area please move

Thanks everyone

Tammy

Tips n Techniques

Do’s and Don’ts

For your Candles

-Make sure your wicks are trimmed to ¼” each time before you light your candle.

-Never leave candle unattended, supervise them just like you would your children and pets.

-Never move a candle around while it is lit.

-Keep candles at least 2” from each other.

-Always burn your candles in proper holders, containers, on plates.

-Never put a lit candle on a bookshelf.

-Do not place candles on electronics.

-Do not reach across a candle to retrieve something.

-Do not have a candle lit in a moving vehicle.

-Do not place Hurricane or Forever candles on a bookshelf when lit. They will misshapen and warp.

-Do not pour melted wax on skin, it hurts and it will burn you.

-Do make sure have fire extinguishers and fire alarms in your home and office and that they work properly.

-Keep away from drafts, kids, and pets.

-Keep away from all flammable objects.

-Burn candles 2-3 hours at a time

- To reduce the smoking of wicks when putting out the flames, get a piece of wire and very gently push the wick into the melted wax, and then very gently pull it back up into an upright position.

-Discontinue use when only ½ in. of wax is left in the bottom of jar or votive holder

Will prevent cracking or breaking of glass.

Instead put votive holder into freezer for about 5-10 min. Wax should slide right out.

-Do not place near heat source.

-Do not freeze (candle will crack). (Since all these home tip books are telling people to freeze their candles to make them last longer.)

-Never drop wick trimmings, matches or any foreign matter that could burn into the candle container.

-Avoid burning candles in drafts. It causes the wick to burn faster and taller

-External use only.

-Do not attempt to heat your house with candles

-The flame is extremely hot. Do not attempt to extinguish the flame with your tongue

-Store candles in zip lock freezer bags to conserve their scent and keep dust off.

-Before a dinner party, light your new candles before the guests arrive, then extinguish them. It will be easier to light them later when the guests arrive.

- If you don't have a long match or lighter to reach a deep or high candle, light a piece of uncooked dried spaghetti and use it to light the candle.

Here are a couple I also use:

Never leave a burning candle unattended.

Never drop wick trimmings, matches or any foreign matter that could burn into the candle container.

Avoid burning candles in drafts. It causes the wick to burn faster and taller.

Are you making a booklet to give out with your candles or offer on a website?

Just curious!

Nina

I'm an ICU nurse and there's no limit to mankind's ability to find stupid things to do!

I've even considered:

• Don't run with candles
  • Do not attempt to heat your house with candles
  • The flame is extremely hot. Do not attempt to extinguish the flame with your tongue.:shocked2:

As I type, there's a Citi Bank commercial on TV where a guy is on a corded phone and can't reach the gas stove where food is burning so he tries to push the pan off the flame with a straw broom...yup, you got the picture!

Unfortunately, I've seen things more stupid.

Nina

Yes I am planning on putting together a booklet to list all the warnings that we can come with and pass out at Business meetings and when I get my website set up I will put everthing on there to..

The Leander Chamber host a Business Circle meeting once a month that I go to and they are also thinking about implementing a Demostration for Products and I have been asked to do a Candle safety Demo. May ask the Fire Dept to come and talk a few min.

And in my booklet I would like to list all the websites of the chandlers and soapers From here with their permission , Free advertisement for everyone interested.;)

thanks

Tammy

Thanks Tammy. Sound like some good public service too!:yay:

These are really more 'burning tips' rather than safety:

• Store candles in zip lock bags to conserve their scent and keep dust off.
  • Before a dinner party, light your new candles before the guests arrive, then extinguish them. It will be easier to light them later when the guests arrive.
  • If you don't have a long match or lighter to reach a deep or high candle, light a piece of uncooked dried spaghetti and use it to light the candle.

I'm trying to remember the site that has the stats on fires from candles. I know our fire department is usually on TV around Christmas giving them. Your fire dept. probably has them too. Might be interesting to show that the problem is real.

Good luck with the demo!

Nina

lol dragon it will be scheduled during a luncheon type deal. They come and listen for 20-30 min and then get to eat and run.

I will be putting together the packet and talking with the fire marshall and our local fire department.

and keeping in touch with the chamber to see when this will be so I can tell everyone.. in the mean time I will be doing some research and reading some of the articles that I have found. will print out some of them to include in the packet.

I think I can include anything related to candles in the packet so Helpful burning tips will be done to

SO when I get the packets done who wants to preview it for me. just to make sure I have all my papers in order lol..

Thanks everyone

Tammy

Tammy,

In 'another life' I write instruction booklets, brochures, trainning manuals etc. That includes designing the "look and feel", cover, etc.--basically everything except actually doing the printing.

If it isn't too big, if you do the typing of the copy, I can probably create the booklet, set up the pages, and get it ready for print for you--if that's not something you like doing. I have the software if you're interested. I'd do it for permission to use on my website and when I do presentations.

Just email me if you are interested and we can work out the details.

Great idea, and good luck with your presentation.

I'd add: Do not move while while wax is liquid (or something to that nature.

Do not place near heat source.

Do not freeze (candle will crack). (Since all these home tip books are telling people to freeze their candles to make them last longer.)

If blowing out candle, blow gently or put finger in front of lips. Failure to do either could result in wax splattering and could potentially burn face. (This happened to my bf.)

Make sure there is a minimum of a 12" clearence above burning candles. I'm not sure that's even enough to be honest. But I've seen people burn them on lower shelves, near ceiling, etc. :shocked2:

LOL Tallbabydoll that brought back a memory I put a lit candle on a bookshelf that had glass shelves in it :embarasse... you guessed it I broke it. got too hot with the candle and all the glass broke. what a mess to clean up. couldn't blame anyone or anything but myself and i do belive that thier is a 14"-15" clearance in between my shelfs. and that was 6 years ago. and yes I still have the cabinet with glass shelves. no candles on it tho.

Thanks for the well wishes

Tammy

While I was driving home this evening, the radio DJ had this "story of the day" (usually news that doesn't make the News). I had to laugh and think of this thread. So I went on their website and copied/pasted the story below.

OUR STORY OF THE DAY COMES FROM AUSTRIA, WHERE A YOUNG ROMANTIC BURNED HIS HOUSE DOWN AFTER MAKING A GIANT HEART OUT OF LIT CANDLES FOR HIS GIRLFRIEND. HANNES PISEK, USED 220 CANDLES TO MAKE A HUGE HEART ON THE FLOOR OF HIS LIVING ROOM. HE THEN LIT THEM AND WENT TO PICK HIS GIRLFRIEND UP AT WORK. WHEN THE TWO RETURNED, THEY WERE GREETED BY FIREMEN WHO WERE TRYING TO BRING THE BLAZE UNDER CONTROL. OUR ROMEO NOT ONLY LOST HIS HOME...HIS GIRLFRIEND ALSO LEFT HIM AFTER THE STUNT.

As I said before, never under estimate mankind's ability to find stupid things to do! Tammy, maybe you can use this story in your presentation!:laugh2: