pillar over dipping

when you dip a piller in wax. to cover a pitcher do you use the same color of wax.i have done white pillars only this way.now i need to do a dark green one not sure how to do the over dip.since the one is made for a tea light not sure how to dip it.

You need to over dip in clear wax....not green. I see that you are wondering how to dip a candle with a tea light insert? Is this correct? In order to dip a candle, you need something to hold on to. Like a wick. If you don't have a wick then you need to figure out something else. Like spray on a coating of acrylic finish or dip in into a special product for dipping candles. I have a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff, but I want wax sometimes. I am faced with this problem too. I haven't done one yet, but I will. This is what I am going to try. when the candle is setting up, poke in a metal cored wick at what will be the bottom end. Then after removing the candle from the mold, you can dip it upside down. Very slowly so you don't get drips. Of course then you will have drip marks on the top of the candle, but then just level it. Cut out as much of the wick as you can as you won't need it and then level the bottom. I think this will work in theory, but next week I am going to try it. Good luck! Donita

Donita,,,,,,,,I have been trying to figure out too how to over dip a candle with a tealight insert and I think I may have just figured out something here, haven't tried it yet though.

Take the screw and tap out of your tealight insert, put it in the bottom of the mold just like you normally would, then run a wick pin up through the hole in the insert where the screw is normally. Pour the candle, unmold, take the wick pin and insert out, run a tabbed wick up through the candle as you normally would, dip and remove the wick and tab and then level the bottom. I'm gonna try it on a square pillar and see if it works or not. Will let ya know how it goes,,,,,,:highfive: Portia

i have tried embeding them in the wax. sometimes they turn out most the time they do not for me.after about ten trys i went to diping them. they always turn out that way for me.in the past i have done wedding candles only.thought i would try green. but not thinking i made it for a tea light to go in it.i think the way Donita said would work i already got this one made tho. guess i will put a acrylic finish on it.

OK Portia....that sounds good too. I will try it and see how that works. I know there is a way. We just want to find the best one. And Tucker, the stuff I have in the 5 gallon bucket came from Pourette. It is candle glaze. It makes your candles look like glass. I set them on a rack over a drip bucket and then tie the wicks to an "S" hook and hang them up to dry over newspater....keep wiping the drips off of the bottom. Sometimes I give them a second coat the next day. It is very easy to do. You don't have to just hold them by the wick....you can stick your hand in if necessary and turn the candle around....like a very tall one. It isn't like wax. Be sure to level your candle first. The product is like plastic and won't take to leveling the bottom after you have dipped it. Then I usually cut a felt piece to glue onto the bottom. It has it's purpose for some candles. It looks very nice over black too. I hear from Candle Science that they are getting some "amazing" over dips soon. I will check into those too. Donita-