Bigger wick = smaller melt pool ??

I'm testing HTP wicks in a 6oz tin, roughly 2.75" across. I'm using a 464/6006 blend with CS pumpkin soufflé at 8%. I have an HTP 83 and an HTP 93 but after 2.5 hours, the HTP 83 is having a slightly bigger melt pool. (Wider, not deeper, that I can tell). 

I'm 99.999% confident that I labeled these correctly, but I'm second guessing myself because this isn't making sense to me. 

Is this a thing that happens sometimes? A smaller wick makes a wider melt pool, closer to the edge? They're lit in the same area with minimal drafts, if that matters. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PhoenixFyre said:

Don't second guess yourself. I've had the same thing happen with the HTP 83 and 93. I use paraffin, and with some scents the 93 burns hotter than the 83, and then with others the 83 has burned hotter. Just goes to show why we test, lol.

Thanks! I've been sitting here trying to retrace my steps from the day I poured it...was I distracted? Did I label them wrong? Etc. etc...driving myself crazy!! They're both burning almost exactly the same, with the 83 being a slightly better melt pool. We'll see how the 2nd and 3rd burns go tomorrow. 

I feel better knowing that I'm not completely crazy and it is possible to have this result. ??

• Like 1

I have the found that I could get a bigger melt pool with HTP 83 when compared to a HTP 93 with certain soy blends and fragrance oils as well. I’m currently experimenting with blending a parasoy blend with other waxes and I’m getting the same results, slightly larger melt pools with HTP 83 in comparison to HTP 93.

• Like 1

I have seen the phenomenon with other waxes and wick series too. When I though about it, the bigger size wick is like a bigger straw that can suck up melted wax faster than the next smaller size without creating that much more heat to melt additional wax. 

• Like 3

On 10/15/2016 at 10:57 AM, TallTayl said:

I have seen the phenomenon with other waxes and wick series too. When I though about it, the bigger size wick is like a bigger straw that can suck up melted wax faster than the next smaller size without creating that much more heat to melt additional wax. 

^^This^^

As I read the thread I was trying to think how to type this out...but Tall Tayl beat me to it. :)

• Like 1