Liquid dye issues

CBeardly

I've been working on some wax melts today & I noticed that the dye wasn't blending well. One batch was was a little off & another one was really off. I didn't realize until the batch was almost completely poured that much of the dye was still in the bottom of the container. Is the dye just old? What's going on? I stir, stir, stir. It's not from a lack of stirring. I don't like using chips because I never can seem to get them fully melted. :confused:

If you don't mind me asking .What temp are you adding your dye? I know I recently ordered some liquid dye & I am not happy with the results at all. I even think it ruined a whole batch of wax melts  I made. I wanted to switch from blocks to liquid ,but think I will go back to my block & chips routine. I have never had a issue with them before. The liquid dyes I ordered were from Aztec & The Candlesource. I did not have a problem with the dye pooling in the bottom ,just my tarts had no throw when I used the liquid. i know sometimes I have a issue with oils pooling in the bottom ,but have learned to add at a higher temp 185 to 190 is good for me, especially with vanilla type scents. I am a newbie on this board & will say this site is full of wonderful learning experiences. I have been reading for 2 years here & decided to sign up. I hope someone with many years of expertise will kindly jump aboard to help you with this problem. I just thought I would put in my few cents worth on the subject. I will be going back to my blocks & chips .The liquid dyes are more expensive & I was so disappointed. I wanted them to work because they are much easier to use .It could be I did not purchase better quality idk. Hope to get some feedback on this subject myself.

• Like 1

I have never added the dye to my fragrance oil ,that may be the issue. I would definitely recommend adding your dye first ,followed by your fragrance oil. I would advise add dye first & then your oil & see if that resolves to issue. If you don't mind me asking ,what wax blends do you use? I have tried many blends & always end up back to my Candlewic 129. I also use 4630/4625 blend on certain fragrance oils. I know I cannot get Love Spell to throw at all in the 129 ,but put it in the 4630/4625 blend & the neighbors can smell it :) It is so odd how some oils perform great in one wax & some do not. The wonderful fun of testing never ends. I am no pro but I would advise to add the dye followed by the oil & see if that helps. Please get back with me on the results .I am curious because I have just started using liquids & had issues. The only one that worked so far in liquid was yellow from CS & the fragrance was lemongrass .I did not notice any difference with that one at all. I am going back to my blocks because I hate to have wax ruined. I know it was the dye because I made more with the dye blocks same scent & no issues ,performed great. I still think this was your fragrance oil pooling at the bottom & not the dye ,but try my tip, see what happens. I look forward to your results .One more thing I have learned is a lot of oils with vanilla tend to pool at the bottom ,so be sure to keep the temp high 185 to 190 so it will bind to your wax .Good luck with everything :) 

• Like 1

It did both ways, when I added it to the FO & when I added it to the wax. It was quite a bit worse when I added it straight to the wax.

It was a 4625/4630 blend & a 4625/6006 blend (this was when I added straight to the wax). I did it with a 464/Palm blend & only noticed a tiny amount. Everything was added between 185-190.

I would say the dye is bad ,maybe old stock or something. I know my experience with the liquids were bad. I am going to stick with my blocks& chips. My dad used to tell me if it is not broke ,don't try to fix it lol. I guess if you really want to use the liquid dues ,try ordering from a different supplier .This one has me puzzled for sure. I am not sure if anyone else has had this issue ,if so hope they will chime in on our conversation. I wanted the liquid to work for me as well ,but honestly it did ruin a whole batch of wax for me.

• Like 1

I have great luck with almost all liquid dyes I have tried. The only one I have trouble with is a dye blended into glycerin. I need to look at the label to see which candle supplier it is from. It separates in the bottle and takes a little more effort to blend in the pot.

other than that, I drop The dye into my pour pot before or after the wax is added and stir. As long as the wax is warm enough to not glob up the colors blend well. Sometimes, when making a large batch of colored I add the drops to the wax as it melts with the same success.