FO Percent in 6006

Grani L

So... I took a venture to the IGI Page to look at the recommended Scent Load for 6006. And it gives an 8 - 10% Range. The wax I purchased says- up to 10%. I currently am testing with 8% - The burn is good - so far, (Keeping my fingers crossed) and the throw is nice and strong. The scent is "Botanical Orchard and Nectar".  - My question is.. for you all that use 6006, for most scents, do you stick with the 6% or do you stay within the 8% range? I had tried CS's Mac Apple before at 6% in 6006, but there was a Burnt type of smell going on. But at 8%- the mac apple throw can not be compared to. So what are your thoughts or suggestions? 

• Like 1

I stick to 1 oz PP in all but a couple of fragrances.  Honeydew (CS) and Strawberries & Champagne (TFC) are two that I use at 1.2oz PP.   I do use MacApple from CS, but I use it at 1 oz PP, and I haven't detected a burnt smell.  Maybe the difference is in our wicks.  What wicks are you using?

• Like 1

Currently, I am using Premiers w/ 8% FO Load. The Mac Apple, I had used 6%, but with a CD Wick, and got a burnt smell. I am getting ready to make CS's Banana Nut Bread / Hansel and Gretel's house, Peaks - Harvest Moon, and AH/RE's Welcome Home at 6%. Hopefully these all are great throwers at 6%.  I also have - which I hope none are duds:

Peaks:

Sugar Cookie

Stargazer Lily - Love this OOB.

German Chocolate Cake

Sweet Pumpkin Spice

Juicy Pineapple, 

Sweet Mango Delight

Birthday Cake

Autumn Walk

Coconut Milk

Apple Jack and Peel

Pear Spice -(This has the box it was delivered in Lit Up)

Blueberry Muffin

CandleScience:

Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Souffle ( The previously gave me a burnt smell with CD wick. I remember gagging somewhat.)

Red Hot Cinnamon

Lemon Verbena

Orange and Gogi Berry

Driftwood

Mango and Tangerine

Blood Orange

Chardonnay

Strudel and Spice

Cotton Candy

Black Sea - Love this. Would like to use this in Soap.

Hazelnut Coffee

Frankincense and Myrrh

I have tried Premier wicks in 6006, but I can't remember why I didn't like them as well as the zincs.  I want to think the flame was kind of erratic, but I may be totally wrong about that.  Thinking about it makes me want to try them again and see.

I haven't been using 6006 but about a year, but I have tried some of those scents.  You should be able to get a good HT with the Driftwood, Chardonnay, Pumpkin Pie, Apple Jack & Peel at 1 oz PP. 

• 3 weeks later...

OK- for nose test OOB , they smell pretty strong.  Off to testing. I am going to test the Zincs. I do have some 51's. And I will be backing down to the 6% - I see that I am getting a nice throw with some of the candles, but not satisfied with black on the jar early in the burn. So...I just made Peaks - Sugar Cookie. Its doing very good throw wise with 6%. Got to go up a wick size - the wick acting like it want to go out....

On 9/14/2016 at 4:33 AM, Terry said:

Zinc 51-32-18 worked well for me with 6006 and BO & N, 7% load.

Grani I should have mentioned that I used a 12 oz. Status jar if that helps you any...what jar are you using?

Edited by Terry

One thing I have noticed with this wax is that a long cure really does make all the difference, not just in the throw but in the burn.  I've had candles I thought were both underwicked and overwicked that burned great after a 2 week cure.  There can be a very noticable difference, and to me, this is the hardest part of using this wax...the waiting...LOL.  I've tested over 50 fragrances with 6006 and zinc wicks, and I've only had to wick up 2 times.  I've never had to wick down.  I use 51z for status jars and 44-24 for mason jars.  Now if I could just figure out how not to get holes near the wick in the 8 oz mason jars, life would be great! 

Good luck with your testing. Please keep us posted. :)

Edited by bfroberts
  • Like 3

On September 12, 2016 at 7:25 PM, Grani L said:

So... I took a venture to the IGI Page to look at the recommended Scent Load for 6006. And it gives an 8 - 10% Range. The wax I purchased says- up to 10%. I currently am testing with 8% - The burn is good - so far, (Keeping my fingers crossed) and the throw is nice and strong. The scent is "Botanical Orchard and Nectar".  - My question is.. for you all that use 6006, for most scents, do you stick with the 6% or do you stay within the 8% range? I had tried CS's Mac Apple before at 6% in 6006, but there was a Burnt type of smell going on. But at 8%- the mac apple throw can not be compared to. So what are your thoughts or suggestions? 

Out of curiosity what jars/ size are you using. I've never tried Premieres , may I ask what size wick works best for your jar. I know it'll vary by scent . I've been wanting to try Peaks sugar cookie

i just received Lemon Cream Puff from Backwoods / Love it !