Product Labeling - General

I go back and forth on this frequently. And by frequently, I mean ALL THE TIME. :)

I know this is a very assumptive question, but do you think the majority of candle customers like pictures representing the candle fragrance
on their jars (like Yankee, BBW often does, and so on)? Or, do you think most do not like that and want something more modern and clean.

Personally, I've always like clean and modern especially for decor. But pictures seem to grab attention and tell customer something about

the scent before they even have to read the name. I can't ever decide which to go with. I have both (and many variations of both) and they all look nice.

But I want to pick a method. I know it could depend on the style of container or product as well... but introducing more variables right now complicates this question, lol.

In general, what do you all think?

• Like 1

My people are magpies - drawn to color. Not necessarily pictures, but color. I grab them from a distance with shine of the containers arranged in a rainbow of gradient color labels. The colors I choose go with the scent in my minds eye.

the brand originally was plain Jane with simple prairie Kraft type labels. When I went with my gut and changed to color sales in my particular market shot up pretty significantly. 

• Like 2

Over time, I have had several different label types.  No matter what is on the label, the customer is going to open it and smell it, and I think that is when the decision is made to buy or not to buy.  I guess what I'm saying is, I don't think it makes that much difference as long as the overall appearance is pleasing to the eye.  I'm sure a marketing exec. would have a different opinion....LOL

24 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

My people are magpies - drawn to color. Not necessarily pictures, but color. I grab them from a distance with shine of the containers arranged in a rainbow of gradient color labels. The colors I choose go with the scent in my minds eye.

the brand originally was plain Jane with simple prairie Kraft type labels. When I went with my gut and changed to color sales in my particular market shot up pretty significantly. 

Well $%&!  Lol, I also had colorful labels and/or colored lids to match some jars with their fragrances. Worked well... I thought.... but contemporary ones did as well. So torn! lol

10 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Over time, I have had several different label types.  No matter what is on the label, the customer is going to open it and smell it, and I think that is when the decision is made to buy or not to buy.  I guess what I'm saying is, I don't think it makes that much difference as long as the overall appearance is pleasing to the eye.  I'm sure a marketing exec. would have a different opinion....LOL

This is what I WANTto believe. And I keep trying to make myself believe. But I need to get their attention first. The Candle business is a tough one to stand out in so anything helps. Ugh... so far, just as lost. ha

it totally depends on where your products are merchandised. 

My color displays are at an in-person event that draws 25k people a day. Grabbing their attention is the only way to get them to walk over, stop and sniff any of the 40+ scents on display at a given time. 

If merchandised in a boutique setting where fewer scents are displayed the simpler look might be very appropriate. 

Online, such as with Etsy or your own web site, the simple refined look might be perfect. 

Talk about ambivalent answers, huh?

the most important thing, IMO, is having the eight amount of brand consistency so people know it is yours they are confident in buying. 

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

the most important thing, IMO, is having the eight amount of brand consistency so people know it is yours they are confident in buying. 

and that's the issue I run into  with the different labels. When you try to do simply and classy along with crazy colorful or whatever, its confusing brand-wise.

I agree with you on where are you selling.. and perhaps why Ive been going back and forth. I sell at events, online, in person.

- In person is easiest. Most dont care about the labels, they like your jar, scent, and price. Done deal

- Online, you gotta get them to your site - than it matters less

- Event, you gotta get them to your booth - than it matters less.

Online has SEO to get traffic

Events do not... so last way to get them there besides word of mouth I guess is visual.

But eye catching doesn't always mean more extravagant. I guess I am trying to figure out what people want to see more

when it comes to a candle. Its tough