Workshop organization

kdes7

This is an ongoing "continuous Improvement" project for me. Right now my little 15x24 workshop is a work horse where I make soap, candles, shampoo, etc. The most important thing to me was flat surfaces, so my husband and I built work benches that span 3 1/2 sides of the room. THey are regular counter depth with shelves beneath to hold various things from packaging to curing soap& candles.

THe most important thing to me was a series set up. WHat I mean is I start production on one side of the room, then items move to the next side at various stages of completion. Soap, for instance, is made next to the sink. The filled molds move to the first corner to SAP. The next day they are unmolded on the next wall where the logs are cut into bars. the bars then go to one of the curing shelves beneath the cutter to cure. When cured, they are labeled and boxed and moved to the next wall to await picking for orders. Everything is in a series where they have a dedicated place.

There's a center pole in the room that I ran an extra circuit for the big melter. Having more than one circuit really helps when I have to run a bunch of things at once! FOlding tables move in and out if I need extra help temporarily.

I outgrew it after about a year, so I'm always looking for ways to simplify operations, products, etc.  I'll photograph after I get through faire season. Too much going on in there to think about right now.