Wax Question

Do GB444 & GB415 behave the same?  I've tried GB464 and get smooth tops when I pour.  What I wasn't crazy about was after burning and the wax hardened, it looks like cottage cheese.  I'm wondering if the other two do the same thing.

Thanks.

Luanne

In all of my testing, yes, the 415 has a tendency to look like cottage cheese after it has burned and cooled. I talked with Phil - I think that was his name - from VA Candle Supplies and he says that it's normal and proves it is a natural product. I'm sure someone else will chime in here.

Maybe there are some additives that you could add to the wax to enhance its appearance, I'm not really sure. I just have learned to embrace soy and all of its "wonders".   :rolleyes:LOL

Guest OldGlory

You just have to learn to live with it. I've used half a dozen different soy waxes and they all have some idiosyncrasies.

If you can't take it, try a parasoy like 6006. After it burns it's nice and smooth.

Sounds like I need to learn to live with it. :)  I've also been trying CB Advanced and can't seem to get a decent hot throw.  It do get smooth tops and is smooth when it cools after burning.  I may make the decision to go back to GB464 and get good hot throw and live with it.

Edited by Luanne
added text

I’ve tried GB444 and found that the same cottage cheese appearance occurs after burning as it does with GB464. In my frustration, I ended up going back to CB Advanced and creating my own blend with CB Advanced as the main wax (I posted the recipe in Soy And Soy Blend Recommendations which is under Vegetable Wax & Beeswax Candle Making) and I have found that some fragrances can take up to 6 to 8 weeks of settling to work. I usually use around 8% fragrance load but I have found that occasionally a fragrance may need as much as 11% fragrance load to work well and a minimum of 7 days to settle. The key to achieving good hot scent throw with advanced soy wax in my experience is allowing the candle to settle for quite some time and adding the fragrance oil to the wax at a wax temperature of approximately 70 to 72 Deg C (158 to 161.6 Deg F) providing that the fragrance oil is compatible with CB Advanced, I have found that 1 or 2 oils do not work.

Yes, like Old Glory said, you have to "embrace" this.  And besides, customers don't care at all what the candle looks like....All they want is a great smelling candle.  I sell wholesale only and I have never ever had anyone complain about what the tops look like after burned.

I tried once the cb advanced and had the same problem of no scent throw.  And from years of reading on forums, it seems that this wax has always had that problem..no throw. All I have ever seen on this wax is more negativity than positive.  But there are ones who have perfected it and it works for them.  I've only used c3 and 415 and 464 and had great luck with all of them once I perfected those waxes.  I have since settled on 464 and I don't ever get cottage cheese tops with this wax.  If I did, it wouldn't bother me anyway.

Trappeur