Recipes - Planning - Batches

Hey everyone,

I did a lot of searches and couldn't find a topic discussing this, so if its already been discussed please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Otherewise, where is what I've been debating with myself for months. I have always made my recipes for batch size of that specific wax and FO. And I typically do this as a base amount of 1pound batches. In other words, if I am going to make a 1lb batch of 6006 with Cinnamon Vanilla, I make a recipe based off of the wax, FO load, and how much dye get the color I want. That is for a batch of 1lb. Then I always make in 1lb increment batches. So double batch or triple etc. This has worked for me so far because I know roughly what I can make with this batch size and the remining little left I use for either tealights, clamshells, samples, etc.

Here is the problem... its a bad method if I need to do just one candle and its a bad method if the number of candles I need falls somewhere in the middle of my batch sizes and I end up with waste. You may be thinking "so do a half batch, or qurater batch, etc".  Well, I cant really do a half drop of dye or a quarter drop. And there in lies part of my issue. I want to keep my color consistent across all products (whether it be candles, clamshells, tealights, different jars, etc).  I can do that with the method I use now.. but end up with waste or making more than I need to each time.

The other option is making recipes PER item and at a quantity of 1. 

The issue with this is.... especially with dyes, I have many recipes that break down to less than a drop of dye per candle so there wouldn't be a way to match that color with the others.

And if the recipes varies from product to product since I cant replicate the exact dye... then all my products will vary some in their color of the same fragrance. Which I dont want.

I was curios as to what most of you do and how you handle this. It may seem like I am making a mountain out of a mole hill, but consistency is important to me and I cant see how to maintain consistency with having to vary the recipe per container or type of candle. Whereas, making the wax in a batch and using it accordingly solves that problem 100% but has other problems of its own including wasted finished wax and/or making more than I need of a product.

Any tips or suggestions? I feel like there is no way I am alone on this! Lol

Thanks

Guest OldGlory

Find the lowest common denominator (1/4, 1/6, 1/8, etc).

Let's say it's 1/4.

Buy a 1 or 2 oz dropper bottle with the bulb on top.

Weigh out 3 grams of soy bean oil, 1 gram of the color in the dropper bottle, keep it well mixed. Or double it, whatever proportions you need. You now have 1/4th color, 3/4 colorless carrier. A few drops of soy bean oil won't change anything. The soy bean oil is thicker than the dye, so if you need to adjust it just go from there. Mark the bottle as 1/4 color - so you would need 4 drops of it to get the equivalent of one drop.

For my wholesale customer I pour hundreds of candles at a time, so in all of my batches the dyes can be divided by 4. If I pour an extra candle or two, that's just a candle I don't have to pour with the next order.

For all of my color testing I also like to keep it consistent.  For several of my colors I have made custom blends..so using sometimes very small amounts.  I solved my need for a 1/4 drop by making wax color blocks.  I heat the wax I'm using and measure out 1 ounce of wax, add one drop or one chip of dye.  I pour that into a silicone cupcake mold and allow to solidify.  Then I store that and mark the type of wax and the amount of color used.  If I need to only use 1/4 of a drop for my formulation then I cut that one ounce piece into fourths and the wax is added to my pot on my scale to be counted in with the amount of wax used for that pour session.

Also...once I had decided on color formulations I also mixed up batches of wax/finished color in a concentrated amount.  So that 1/4 of a disk of wax was actually the full amount of color for one pound of wax.  If I'm making 2 or 4 pounds of that color, I just use the amount to get the color consistent. 

It can be a bit of extra work, but if you are particular about your color consistency and work in smaller batches, it is so much easier to have that already figured out for when it's time to pour the candles.

• Like 1

When all else fails you can make your own 'color' blocks and store them when needed. I have done this before and it works. I used to use tea light molds for my color blocks. I would drop one drop of liquid dye in the mold with wax and blend it, let it cool, then pop it out and store it in a baggie until I needed it. For me it was getting the right vanilla color as one drop was too much for a small batch. But if I cut up a color block in halves or quarters I got exactly the right color hue I needed.

But now I use dye chip and its easier for me to halve or quarter a chip for just the right amount for small or one/two candle batches.

Sorry I didn't realize Chefmom posted about making color blocks. Anyway, seems we both had the same idea but used different molds to make the blocks.

I found I only really needed to make a few blocks as it turned out only a couple of dyes were problematic. The color blocks work so well thou and you really can get consistency in color that way.

Let us know how you work it out and works for you.

• Like 1

Or try chips and experiment that way. 

If you try blocks ... perhaps you can judge by shavings. Rather than cube the thing, shave the thing. I don't single color so I've gone away from blocks and chips unfortunately. I have to rely on dye by the plastic cup I use ... which gets obnoxiously tedious sometimes trying to make a pale pink or pale orange. 

IF I were to go with blocks again though I would go by shavings. What do I get with whichever way I chose to shave the block. I'd shave it against a non-serrated butter knife though to keep it from crumbling up or taking too much at a time. 

Don't know if that makes sense to you or not ... 

AND THEN ... there's the famous melt a chip of block in something metal that you can reheat over and over ... and use those as drops perhaps. I don't know the answer to your consistency level except to tell you ... why make one when you can make two, three, four or more? 

I may have you pegged wrongly for someone else, but I thought you were doing a business side of this so why wouldn't you want stock? 

I do stock,  but even doing big batches, they are based off pounds which is how I do my recipes right now. And pound increments don't make exact number of candles. There is still waste wax left over. That is the issue I'm trying to resolve. Not about how many I make, by about how to formulate recipes (based off each candle or by batches of wax). Doing it be each candle is much more difficult and tedious and inconsistent... but doing it by batch means I'll always have extra wax.... because it won't ever be enough to our make exact number of candles perfectly. If that makes sense.

18 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

I do stock,  but even doing big batches, they are based off pounds which is how I do my recipes right now. And pound increments don't make exact number of candles. There is still waste wax left over. That is the issue I'm trying to resolve. Not about how many I make, by about how to formulate recipes (based off each candle or by batches of wax). Doing it be each candle is much more difficult and tedious and inconsistent... but doing it by batch means I'll always have extra wax.... because it won't ever be enough to our make exact number of candles perfectly. If that makes sense.

I love the process...but like you mentioned, I also don't like waste.  What I would do is look at your system real close, switch to grams and do a full calculation of making a no waste small batch system.  For example.  Let's say that your one pound (454 grams) batch makes one large candle with a clamshell and three tealights left over.  The downfall is that you will make the one candle for an order, yes the clamshells store well, but you might accumulate too many tealights for what you will sell or use.  So....break everything down into grams and calculate how much of a batch you need to make with wax, color and fragrance to make two full candles or one big and one small sized candle.....naturally depending on what you are making, the size you are making etc.

Once you work in grams you can very easily up and down formulations because that one ounce you are used to using breaks up into 28.4 grams.  Investing in a second grams scale (that weighs in one gram or less) and you can break down a small batch into micro batches.  Using a small gram scale you can measure tiny amounts of fragrance and even like mentioned above, with the color blocks, make a 35-50 gram size color block and then shave it with a cheese grater or veggie peeler and store in a jar or baggie (labeled of course!).  Then...with a micro gram scale you can weigh the amount of color to use in your formulation.  If you work in traditional round numbers of grams, 250 grams, 500 grams etc instead of pounds and ounces, your head can quickly wrap around even percentages instead of trying to work through the tedious 1.75 ounces, .55 ounces etc.  A 500 gram batch that makes say one large and one small candle can be broken down like this... 2 grams of color block weighed out, then wax added up to the total of wax used to 470 grams.  Heat those to the desired temp (or heat the wax and then add the 2 grams of color, depending on your system) and then at the proper temperature add 30 grams of fragrance (assuming you are using the traditional 6% fragrance load).  Your total batch weighs 500 grams and everything is broken down into easy to use numbers.  Then....say you want a 1000gram batch, all the numbers go up and down quickly and easily in round numbers...4 grams of color block, 936 grams of additional wax, 60 grams of fragrance.  You can easily go the other way with a 250g batch and cut it in half.  With a micro gram scale it will measure out .25grams even...so you can go quite tiny if you desire. 

YEARS ago, when I was in Culinary School I was introduced to grams in baking and I began to switch all of my baking recipes into gram weights, so once I started making soap, and then candles, I was already fluent in gram usage.  I do wish the US would swap over and stop the ultimate confusion of fluid ounce and weight ounces...it's maddening when there is a clear system in grams and milliliters already in use.

Personally, I think working in grams is very liberating, especially in small batches. :)

Another idea with the waste though might be to pour it into chunks and/or chop the devil out of it to use as a surface decoration possibly. I work in the pounds. I totally get what you say about the waste. 

I either pour it into a cup that's kept as leftover and blend it on down the line with other leftovers that once upon a time were called mystery and sold as such. Now we're just giving the blends a name, because mystery was killing my partner to try to describe what was in it. It will not be any easier for him to try to describe what we now call Abraham for this batch. The thing is that the extra makes something unique that I can turn into something else. It isn't that way for everyone and I get that. I have, in the past, manipulated the mixes to get little to no leftover and when I do it this way ... I sure enough get a sink hole that needs to be filled. I'm not a container maker though. I make pillars and I do what I can to make them unique, so the leftover wax just helps me make something different. Sorry I could not be of help to you. 

You were of great help... you all were. I am taking each into suggestion and trying to figure out what I want to do. 

Batches by pound is just.... so much better than "what i need as needed" as far as recipes go and other reasons. 

But I think its mostly about consistency which is why I do. I would totally switch to recipes to make just 1 if I could find 

a simple efficient way of doing it. As far as the waste goes... what I normally do is just make tarts and little sample scent tins.

Problem is... sometimes then ends up being a TON of tarts (or tealights sometimes as well). But I dont sell tons of tealights so thats kinda

still like a waste to me. And tarts... well I dont need to keep accumulating so I have 40 on hand. lol.

I did consider keeping the leftover and mixing it in on next batch.. but something about that just doesn't jive with me. Maybe its because I am so anal retentive about

my candles, but I feel like I am kinda shortchanging the next batch ya know? Especially since it would have to be melted down which means it just lost a bit of scent.

I know it would be minimal... but I guess I feel like thats not a good thing to do. I have in the past often used dixie cups for when a little was remaining and then just

used those at home in warmers after peeling the paper away. But again... thats a waste of product I could be using for sales.

Doing any of the above over and over adds it very quickly.

I am totally ok with stocking up... problem is... I have multiple containers I use and so over stocking up on certain containers really stinks when I end up needing more of a different container when ordered. So then I have turned waste management problem into inventory/stock management problem, lol.

So.. Im still thinking through this

Here's another idea for you. This is not about color but about recipes for number of candles poured.

I make a chart with the jar name and the amount of scented wax it will hold. Then I break down the amount of wax and amount of scent/FO needed for the jar. Then I do the same for 2 jars, 3 jars, 4 jars, etc. until I have up to 6 jars. That is how much wax my pour pot will hold. So I can pour from one up to half a case of jars at a time.

So if I need to pour 2 vanilla candles and 5 cinnamon candles I look at the chart and prepare my pour pots with the wax and fragrance amounts I need to use for the exact amount jars I need to pour. Since I have been using my chart I never waste a drop of wax or FO. EVER!

I does take a few minutes to make up the chart, print it out, and tape it to the wall in my candle making area. But it is a one time chore and I use the chart over and over. Besides, I can always print out a fresh chart or update it if I start using different jars. Its a huge time saver and totally worth the little bit of effort needed to type it up.

I also keep a chart on how much colorant I use per jar and keep that list with me as a reference sheet while I am making candles.

For me it was about being more organized, saving time and money by leaving no wasted product. This system works perfect for me!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Here's another idea for you. This is not about color but about recipes for number of candles poured.

I make a chart with the jar name and the amount of scented wax it will hold. Then I break down the amount of wax and amount of scent/FO needed for the jar. Then I do the same for 2 jars, 3 jars, 4 jars, etc. until I have up to 6 jars. That is how much wax my pour pot will hold. So I can pour from one up to half a case of jars at a time.

So if I need to pour 2 vanilla candles and 5 cinnamon candles I look at the chart and prepare my pour pots with the wax and fragrance amounts I need to use for the exact amount jars I need to pour. Since I have been using my chart I never waste a drop of wax or FO. EVER!

I does take a few minutes to make up the chart, print it out, and tape it to the wall in my candle making area. But it is a one time chore and I use the chart over and over. Besides, I can always print out a fresh chart or update it if I start using different jars. Its a huge time saver and totally worth the little bit of effort needed to type it up.

I also keep a chart on how much colorant I use per jar and keep that list with me as a reference sheet while I am making candles.

For me it was about being more organized, saving time and money by leaving no wasted product. This system works perfect for me!

Actually this is what Ive been referring to. This is what I'd like to when I need to make specific items and batches. This is why I started this post. The problem preventing me from doing this is the coloring. I have many recipes that do not break down to full drops of color per jar. Many would be like .68 drops or 1.23 drops.  Thats insane to try and accomplish. And I cant just create recipes for each jar to make them easier drop amounts to work with because then my colors won't be consistnt between products or jars, hence... my issue.   :/

But, yes.. what you do is what I am after. I dont want to keep building unneeded stock at the moment or having waste doing what I do now

Thank ya

I seriously think making your own color blocks using one drop of liquid dye is the way to go. If you use a tea light mold like I do to make your color block its easy to cut the block of wax into halves, quarters, or even eighths or smaller. That should take care of your color problem. Besides, you make a few blocks of color and you store them in a ziploc bag so they keep for months or years and you can pull out the baggie with your color blocks whenever you need one.

Like I mentioned, I did this with a few of my colors which I simply had to have a half drop or a quarter drop of color dye and it works beautifully.

The other trick is to dip toothpicks into the liquid dye then dip the toothpick into your wax. That works too but its not as consistant as making your own color blocks. But its another viable way to get the small amounts of dye you need in increments until you have just the right amount of color you need.

Here are some picks of the charts I use. These charts have been taped to my wall for a long time so they are kind of grungy and covered with oily spots but you should get the idea:

This one is for my 12oz round jars:

Wax chart 12oz.jpg

This one for my 16oz mason jars:

Wax chart 16oz.jpg

This is an older one I used for Jelly Jars and 12oz Round jars. I often would pour jelly jars and round jars together so I made a chart I could do a few of each:

Wax chart JJ.jpg

I also make up another chart with the candle name, FO and supplier, and color recipe and keep that with me when I am making candles. That way I know which FO(s) to pick out and what my color recipe was when making the candles. That's actually a spreadsheet so if I have the time I will try to take a pic and post if you are interested.

Edited by Candybee

Thats a great post and things for the pictures.

I actually use web software to manage all my recipes and have monitor is where I do my blending so I just open the recipe I

am working on and it shows me exactly what I need and how much of everything (wax, FO, dye, wick, labels... everything) Its nice

But its currently done by 1 pound batches and then I just multiple the batches depending on how much I need (the software does that too).

Regarding the color, which has been the culprit.... Ill try the color blocks of wax. Will doing that dilute or lose some of the color at all if it sits for a while before being used?

The other issue is I use a lot of softish blends for my containers, take 6006 for example. Im not sure how well that will store in baggies. Ill need to find some small mold I can use and then a way to store them for sure when needed

I didn't have any problems with color fade at all. The color blocks I made kept beautifully and were the handiest way I found for solving my color issues when I needed small amounts of color at a time. I have used this method successfully with my parasoy blend so I don't see why you can't do it with 6006.

Also, it sounds like your recipes are built around pouring in lb increments. I did this at first too until I realized I was having the same problem wasting wax. Since I run a business this was not acceptable so I brainstormed and knew what I had to do was readjust my recipes so I would have a pouring chart for the exact amount of candles I needed to pour. So I pour by candle jar not by lb.

1 minute ago, Candybee said:

I didn't have any problems with color fade at all. The color blocks I made kept beautifully and were the handiest way I found for solving my color issues when I needed small amounts of color at a time. I have used this method successfully with my parasoy blend so I don't see why you can't do it with 6006.

Also, it sounds like your recipes are built around pouring in lb increments. I did this at first too until I realized I was having the same problem wasting wax. Since I run a business this was not acceptable so I brainstormed and knew what I had to do was readjust my recipes so I would have a pouring chart for the exact amount of candles I needed to pour. So I pour by candle jar not by lb.

Yep, that is what I am moving towards. Thank you for all the suggestions.

Most of my recipes and their color I want to keep as is, so Ill just break those down into increments for each jar and rebuild each recipe. I dont mind doing that. :)

Thanks

• Like 1

Good luck. Since I pour by jar and keep a record of each candle recipe I no longer waste any wax or have color mishaps. I know some won't believe I don't waste a drop of wax this way but I really do not waste any. Anyway this was my solution I came up with that works for me. It may not work for everyone. Glad I could help!

• Like 1