FO Load Questions!

Hello lovely ladies and gentlemen!  I really need some advice about fragrance loads.  I have searched this site and no post really answers my questions so I apologize if this is repetitive.  I have little mason jars that hold exactly 6.6 ounces each.  I want to use 8% fragrance load.  I don't want to add back the oil weight but I want it to come out to 6.6 ounces exactly with the 8% load.  I can figure out 8% but I'm not sure how to make the whole thing only 6.6 oz.  Any suggestions or formulas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Depends on how you calculate the 8% load. Is your 8% measured as part of the total in the jar or as a % of your wax?

Btw, the differences between specific gravities of some fragrances will cause the fill line to rise or be slightly lower. But the weights in the end will be the same.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, burnsv1 said:

Hello lovely ladies and gentlemen!  I really need some advice about fragrance loads.  I have searched this site and no post really answers my questions so I apologize if this is repetitive.  I have little mason jars that hold exactly 6.6 ounces each.  I want to use 8% fragrance load.  I don't want to add back the oil weight but I want it to come out to 6.6 ounces exactly with the 8% load.  I can figure out 8% but I'm not sure how to make the whole thing only 6.6 oz.  Any suggestions or formulas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Hey Burns, first and foremost.. when you said it holds 6.6 ounces, are you talking about by weight or volume. Make sure its weight when doing your recipes.

So fill up the container to where you want by volume and then weigh how much wax that is. If you already know or have done this, then nvm.

Next, can you clarify which method your using for FO.

1) Standard is to take amount of wax you want to use. then figure out 8% of that and add it to the wax.

2) Some people instead use the 8% load of the entire finished product. In other words its 8% of the total weight rather than being added on (most don't do this however)

If you with #1, do this: (its a bit tricky)

1 - do your normal math to figure out 8% FO to add to 6.6 wax (since you know those numbers already). 6.6x.08 = .53FO

2- add the .53FO to 6.6wax = 7.13 new total

3 - Since you want a total of 6.6 and not 7.13, first take 6.6/7.13 = .93

4 - The .93 you came up with from step 3 is the percentage of total wax to use, so 6.6x.93 = 6.12wax

5 - now that you have proper wax amount, do your FO math again, 6.12x.08 = .49FO

6 - Lastly, double check your total work now with your new numbers. 6.12Wax + .49FO = 6.61 TOTAL

*its a tad higher than 6.6 because I rounded everything. But honestly, 6.61 is 6.6.   :)

This is the math I came up with when I started doing the same thing. It seems a bit overwhelming at first, but you quickly get used to it. I also just made  a quick excel sheet

with the formulas, so you dont have to do it by hand each time. Hope this helps.

If you go with #2, just back out the FO amount from 6.6. So, 6.6x.08FO = .53FO.  Then, 6.6-.53 = 6.07wax

your formula would be 6.07 wax and .53 FO.

Easier, but I dont like it as much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Depends on how you calculate the 8% load. Is your 8% measured as part of the total in the jar or as a % of your wax?

Btw, the differences between specific gravities of some fragrances will cause the fill line to rise or be slightly lower. But the weights in the end will be the same.

Speaking of this... do you fill your jars to the same fill line for each candle (thus making your weights a little different), or do you fill all to the same wight (making your fill lines different).

I cant decide. Id prefer to do them all to same weight so my labels are all the same and correct as far as net wt. But, its a pain dealing with different fill lines per candle and per fragrance.

6 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

Speaking of this... do you fill your jars to the same fill line for each candle (thus making your weights a little different), or do you fill all to the same wight (making your fill lines different).

I cant decide. Id prefer to do them all to same weight so my labels are all the same and correct as far as net wt. But, its a pain dealing with different fill lines per candle and per fragrance.

I fill to a specific line and use the lowest potential weight on the label. Customers look at fills. And eyeballing as I fill is simpler for me than weighing each as I fill. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I fill to a specific line and use the lowest potential weight on the label. Customers look at fills. And eyeballing as I fill is simpler for me than weighing each as I fill. 

Agreed and this is what I do as well.

Do you use the 11.5oz straight sided tumblers by chance? They hold anywhere from 7-9oz depending on fill line.

I ask because yankee sells those too and they list them as 7oz candles. I dont think any of mine are below 8 so was just curious if anyone elses uses those.

Your wax & FO should not vary by "that" much if filling to a specific line. Most FO specific gravity is within a very small range which would amount to fractions of an ounce, grams really. 

People led I watch don't seem to note the weight as much as the expected burn times. 

Just now, TallTayl said:

Your wax & FO should not vary by "that" much if filling to a specific line. Most FO specific gravity is within a very small range which would amount to fractions of an ounce, grams really. 

People led I watch don't seem to note the weight as much as the expected burn times. 

That is true about caring more about burn times. I am not sure what an acceptable burn range on my labels is. 40-60 for example.. that too big a range?

Guest OldGlory

I use a range no bigger than '10' - 40-50 hours, 80-90 hours, etc. A range of 20 makes me think you don't really know how long the candle burns.

Ive been using that range simply because everyone burns their candle quite differently. I know people who power burn theirs EVERY TIME all day long! Lol.

And then others who only burn couple hours at a time. I tried to get them all covered.

Ill try tweaking it for the majority.

Yankee seems to expand theirs as they move up in size. For example, they have a 30 hour range on their jars!