Wick issue

I wish that I was good enough for a shop lol. No I sell to local customers and wholesale currently to a company. I also have some candles and melts in a local shop. I have a Facebook page but it's not exactly the most professional. I have secured domains for my company for when hopefully I ever launch onto the big Web. Just Google Wixxy Waxxy candles and it will show you my Facebook link. I need to update it, don't judge hahaha

cool man, ill check it out.

Here is a link to my site. Its also being completely re-done so many links are currently not working and many pictures need updated as well.

Work in progress and plan on "re-releasing" in the next week or so. (although, you can actually browse and purchase currently still...lol)

https://blacktiebarn.com/

currently only my tumblers and some melts are on there, but everything else should be added in next couple of weeks.

I also have new labels which you can see here: https://blacktiebarn.com/collections/black-tie-candles

The HARDEST part about candle business is dealing with shipping in my opinion.

• Like 1

WThomas,

Wow man your site looks awesome! I really like the black background. If you don't mind me asking what wick do you use in your tumblers? I use primarily zinc and roughly a 60 in 6006. The 51 seems to leave too much hangup. 

Thanks man. Ive been working on it for quite some time (although most the work has been backend rather than front end asthetics). But thanks, I appreciate it. I'm always tweaking it. And yah, I wanted a dark background but wanted to keep my classy barn theme so thats the background I decided on. 

On the tumblers, I use either the 51s, the 60s, or the 62s. 

I tend to mostly use the 60s and 62 for the same reason.. too much hang up with the 51s. But... the 60s and 62s also muchroom a bit more. 

Id say currently, half use 60 and half use 62 minus the exception of a few 51s mixed in there.

However, I am currently revisiting CDs and trying a few others as well. Always trying to improve. Trying to find that Perfect wick that burns like a zinc but without the mushroom. Never ending challenge. Lol

yah wicking is a nightmare. I have bags and boxes of every wick type and nearly every size!

I went a little overboard with the testing early on, lol.

Speaking of which, if anyone is looking for Eco 8s and 10s... I have a bag of 1000 of each, ha!

On 6/21/2016 at 3:23 PM, wthomas57 said:

So I have a really good tip for you...If possible... its good to use some material under your candles that doesn't draw out heat too quickly. For example, wood isn't good as it will suck our the heat faster than normal and that can cause shrinkage. Counters probably not near as much.

Ideally...metal is great. What I have done since my pouring tables are a wood finish, is I have this padding that keeps heat in (sort of if you are going to bring a hot dish to a party and need to keep it hot during travel). I have lined my tables with that and it helps. The truth is having any solid surface under your candles is going to pull heat out faster than if there was no surface underneath. Well, since we can't pour and cure candles in mid-air you have to find the best alternative. To me... its either the material I use or metal shelving. 

This was the kind of information i needed! it makes so much sense why my candles have been settling poorly recently. I have been pouring and leaving them to set on a wood table it was fine when i was making them in 90deg weather in my stupid hot apartment but since its been cooler they have just not been turning out too well and was becoming a fight. once we move into out new house i will need to find some kind of metal table/ rack to pour the candles on. 

THANKS SO MUCH! ;-) 

No problem Siren,

The candle making biz/hobby is an ironic one. Its better to MAKE candles when its warmer and easier to SELL and SHIP during winter months. Go figure, lol.

Do some research on old restaurant suppliers and places that are moving or going out of business. You can get industrial style tables and shelving for cheap that way.

But I think even Sam's Club has some items that might be helpful. Home Depot and Lowes sells the metal tool boxes. I use one of those as well. For starters, the drawers are handy for supplies, but the top of mine is metal which is good for pouring.

Hope this helps.

By the way, make sure no other variables have changed that could be attributing to your curing other than air temp. For example, pouring temp.

Guest OldGlory

I put newspapers down on my washer & dryer and pour my candles (and melts) there, all the jars/tins laid out on a cookie sheet covered with newspapers. I only need to do a few loads of laundry a week so that space is perfect for me.

Once they are poured and the wax surface is solid, I move them to a metal wire shelf unit. They are about 5' tall and very sturdy, but not very expensive. You can find them at Home Depot or Lowes.

My orders are usually 400-500 candles/melts at a time, so I had to streamline my operation. One spot for pouring, one spot for cooling completely, one small table for labelling, and then directly into the box with the packing list and delivery label stacked near the front door.

17 minutes ago, OldGlory said:

I put newspapers down on my washer & dryer and pour my candles (and melts) there, all the jars/tins laid out on a cookie sheet covered with newspapers. I only need to do a few loads of laundry a week so that space is perfect for me.

Once they are poured and the wax surface is solid, I move them to a metal wire shelf unit. They are about 5' tall and very sturdy, but not very expensive. You can find them at Home Depot or Lowes.

My orders are usually 400-500 candles/melts at a time, so I had to streamline my operation. One spot for pouring, one spot for cooling completely, one small table for labelling, and then directly into the box with the packing list and delivery label stacked near the front door.

yep this is similar to me.. minus the washer and dryer. :)